Inconsistency in the classroom . . .

My daughter had a substitute teacher this week. The substitute teacher told my sister when she picked up my daughter that she was well behaved. However, her behavior log said that she was on "yellow" and that she was "talking too much during worktime."

I emailed the teacher about this inconsistency and her response was that the aide probably wrote the note on the behavior chart and maybe the substitute was unaware that my daughter had misbehaved, as the aide was responsible for behavior while she was gone. Should I be concerned that the substitute is not paying enough attention? The teacher is treating this like it isn't a big deal, but I disagree. I want an explanation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Really not a big deal. Looks like the substitute cared about your daughter and that she knew she was only there for a short time.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 1:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Being a teacher I know its easy to get confused on which child did what or when or on what day... and if it was a sub or an aide its even harder.. if it doesn't negatively affect your daughter i wouldn't be concerned... it just happens
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Is the aide at school everyday? If so, the aide probably has a better idea of the teacher's expectations. The aide probably saw your daughter acting out and recognized it. The sub, being unfamiliar with the classroom, probably didn't notice these things. I wouldn't be concerned. Most subs are great teachers, but they have a really hard job in that they are in a different classroom at a different school teaching a different grade with different students everyday. They will miss some things, but not the big things. I wouldn't worry.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The sub gets a brief snapshot of behavior and aides also have time alone with students, so I wouldn't be upset the sub thought she was ok, and a lot of teachers may give warnings but they don't merit a call home or anything to upset a parent it is what it is and was handled at the time of the offense.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Its not a big deal. The aide is the one that is most familiar with the kids and the classroom expectations the sub is there for a brief period of time.... It's great that the sub. had little/no issues with your dd, the aide did notice something going on... prob. when the teach and sub are there they have their own way of communicating etc. which understandbly would not happen with a sub...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It isn't a big deal. When teachers are out the sub doesn't have the same standards for behavior.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2010