What is a "green" way of disposing of dog waste?

I know I'll get a dog someday and it will be a big dog. I want to know how I can dispose of his waste without throwing it in the garbage. If it's a large dog, it will have lots of poop so I'm not sure if we'll want it in the compost pile...

MotherofIreland

Asked by MotherofIreland at 1:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Make a separate compost pile just for doggie doo doo away from your regular compost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I take a wal mart plastic bag and chuck it in the dumpster.(recycling my wal mart plastic bags as pooper scoopers)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:02 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I dont see how you wouldn't want to compost your dogs waste if you're already running a compost bin, I have two large dogs (65 and 115lbs) without issue. but.. they do have things like the Doggie Dooley (google it) which is an in ground com poster.
    You can build one too yourself for less, which is what my brother did for his 3 dogs, just make sure its large enough to accommodate your waste needs.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 9:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Our huge dogs fertilize our forest area. They are trained to go in the woods, not the lawn. You can buy corn-plastic poop bags for when you have to pick up. They are biodegradable. If your compost is active and can digest the poop quickly, you can have one compost for food and dog waste. Some people are worried about mixing poop in compost they use in their garden.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had a neighbor once who dug a hole big enough to fit a five gallon plastic tub into to fit level.( like the largest paint cans) and he cut the bottom out of the bucket and put the bucket into the hole. he then put the waste into the hole into the ground and covered it back up daily with the lid. this let him cut the grass without obstruction, covered up the smell and was not seen by neighbors. when it was almost full, he pulled out the bucket covered it up with the dirt from the next hole he dug.. I thought it was pretty smart. As the waste became part of the dirt over the years he never had a problem finding another clean hole to dig.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• they have a stool disposer that you bury in your back yard. You put the poop in and some enzymes and it turns to liqui and gets absorbed into the ground.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010