Baby last name???

Okay I am having a baby by a man who wants nothing to do with the baby. I still want to give the baby his dads last name. My last name is terrible to say the least. What you think is is weird or okay for the baby to have the fathers last name when he won't aknowlege the baby as his?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Legally unless he signs as the father you cant do that anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Why don't you change your last name to something you like and then you both can have the same name....I think you can do that. It's a pain though to change things. I know it was when I got married. Logically would be to name the baby with your name and then one day change names if you get married etc..

To me it's much easier to have matching last names, but also why name the baby after someone who wants nothing to do with him/her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had a different last name then my mother when i was growing up and i hated it! And if your only reason for wanting to give the child the sperm donors last name is because your maiden name sucks ...i don't think that's a very good reason.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have to agree with outstandingLove, keep your kid's last name the same as yours especially if you don't think his father will be around. It will serve as a constant reminder to the kid that his/her dad left. That's how it was for me at least.

Also, Anon 114 is right. It is easier to do things with the baby when it has the same last name as yours. My mum had some issues because her last name was different than mine.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 2:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't care how horrible your last name may be i would just give the baby your last name. If this guy wants nothing to do with the child then why give him the last name of a scum bag?!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I was just thinking about this today.... my daughter's biological father wanted nothing to do with her. I could have still given her his last name, but very smartly didn't!! I am super duper relieved I didn't make that mistake! (My daughter is almost 20 now)

I think it would be incredibly foolish to give your baby that stupid mutherr EFFER's last name......

Like someone said, if you hate your last name so much - then just change it to something else and give your baby that last name too. If I were to choose an alternate last name, it would be "Honey"..... my friend's last name is Honey. In fact, her sister was in a long term relationship with a woman who legally changed her last name to Honey.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would say your last name even if it is awful that way your kid feels fully tied to you it will be hard enough with no dad
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• ^ I agree with truealaskan....
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 3:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• he would ahveto sign the birth certificate i think, not sure,s o check ur state, but NO, its NOT weird!!! im married and still have my maiden name!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 7:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• When the baby is born you can give him/her whatever last name you want to. They will call the baby "baby boy/girl and then you last name". My DD has her father's last name and was born to unwed parents. You can put whatever you want on that certificate. I would however give that child your last name and then change it when you do get married someday.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010