Can I refurb/repaint a dresser while prego?

I'm 6 months pregnant and found this adorable dresser w/mirror that will be perfect in the babies room. It's an awful beige color and I want to repaint it, I'm a huge DIYer and love projects like these. Is it safe to sand and repaint the dresser? It's no fun if someone else does it...plus they prob. won't do it right anyway! lol

Tkelly3

Asked by Tkelly3 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Make sure you test it if it's old to see if there is lead paint. I was going to strip and refinish an old door and when we tested it it was positive. You can get the test at a hardware store. They are cheap and easy to use! Otherwise, make sure you wear a mask and have plenty of ventilation and you should be fine!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If you do it in a very well ventilated area like outside, and wear a dust mask or even better a ventilator mask and take frequent breaks to get fresh air.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Wear a mask while you sand. Use products that are low VOC / environmentally friendly. This is a great website for non-toxic products for your home: http://dld123.com/ This is a great site for environmentally friendly information: www.grist.org

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Olympic makes a zero VOC paint. We used it in our nursery.

I get someone else to do the stripping if possible.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i repainted my babys dresser while prego! it came out beautiful we made sure all the windows were open in our basement tho but baby is herea nd shes healthy!!!
    Anonymous