I met this guy and his son has Autism....

They were here tonight and I must say, his son is a "bundle of energy" to put it nicely. I don't have hardly experience if any with "Autistic" kids(Is that the right word? if not, I apologize).
He would drag a bunch of toys out then I told him he needed to put the other toy up before he started dragging out more toys.
He doesn't listen real well. Is this normal? His son wears "pull ups" for accidents. Is that normal? IDK, Are there any moms out there that can educate me about Autistic kids? his son is 8.

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh honey....I am LOL!!!!! You need to do some research...there is too much to tell you!

I have worked with autistic children (when I was a preschool teacher)....and your approach to the child is highly insensitive and I know you don't want to be!! I am so glad you are asking! But you really need to at least read a book about it. :)

When you learn a little bit about it, you will know why you are cracking me up. :) :)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• That is all pretty normal, a lot of autistic children have to look you right in the face to understand that you are talking to them, and the pull up thing makes sense as well. There are varying degrees of autism he sounds like he is higher functioning than others.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:59 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I work with kids who have developmental disabilities and one thing I can tell you is that a lot of them get away with murder b/c of their disabilities, some grow up to be little terrors. While it's not your job to discipline his child treating him any differently than you would another child is only going to hurt him (and you!) in the long run. Tell his father that at your house there are rules that your kids follow and if his son is going to visit you need him to reinforce them.
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 3:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Oh Man, I wasn't trying to be insensitive. I did ask him nicely. He kept coming out telling me my son was cussing and he wasn't. Is this normal too?

I'm mainly looking for a way to be this kids "friend" too, but I want to educate my self to his level(Did that make sense? I don't mean that in any offensive way what so ever).
    The library is close and the roads are to nasty right now to go to the library hence why I came asking for help here. Please tell me what the "lol" personal joke is about.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I wasn't trying to "discipline" his son. I just said to him and his dad, that I make my son pick up and put away a toy before he starts dragging out more toys. He TRASHED my son's room and needless to say my son wasn't too happy about that. Me and the kid's dad ended up picking up the room. I did get the dad a few times to ask his son to help.
    My son has a small atm machine and this kid kept trying to get into, I had to end up putting it on top of the refridgerator because the kid was trying to break it by prying the door thing off of it after his dad telling him a million times to not play with it. Is that normal too?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I really think you should do an online search of autism behaviors, it is a very encompassing problem, and also Tkelly autism isn't a developmental disability kids with autism really don't understand and take a lot of work so to say that is insensitive. I would also ask his dad what functioning level he is, that explains a lot. Some are high functioning very smart but the bathroom thing is an issue, and they are unable to focus and have a lot of energy. You have to truly be in contact with them eye contact especially when talking or they don't know you are talking to them even if you use there name.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• All of the things you are talking about are normal. It was probably very hard for the child to be at your house. Kids with ASD do not adjust well to changes in their schedule. Pull ups are normal. Tantrums are normal. Not listening at all is perfectly normal for a child with ASD.
    But it also sounds like that dad wasn't doing much to hold up "his part". I wonder if the child is in early intervention. I would hope so.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• OK. Thanks for all the advice have have gotten tonight. He seems like a great kid and his dad is an awesome kisser to boot!wink mini(Don't worry the kids were in the bedroom with the door closed and didn't see us...lol)

Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:10 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Uh. ...idk who said you need eye contact from a child with ASD but that is far from the truth. Good luck getting almost any child with ASD to look you in the eye. ...just because they aren't looking at you doesn't mean they aren't listening or understand. You can tell if they understand by their functioning level.
    My younger brother has high functioning ASD and i was certified to provide respite care for families of children with ASD.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Ok - i will just try to explain a few things. To answer your "is this normal" questions....YES. It is normal. Like someone else said, there are varying degrees of autism. Some are high functioning (can speak, read, maintain control of his bodily functions and impulses) and some are lower functioning (cannot do anything for himself like eat, bathe, dress, etc). Many of them have tics, like they jerk around or make repetitive sounds or hit themselves or bang their heads against the wall. Some just walk around like they are deaf and have no understanding of what is going on around them. Sometimes if you tell an autistic child your name, he will forget it 2 seconds later.....no matter how many times you tell him, he will never ever ever remember it. (or will act like he doesn't remember it) Many cannot speak at all, or can only say a few words. It is as though they are living at a different level than everyone else.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2010