Has anyone here ever hosted a foreign exchange student?

Was it a good experience or a bad experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Good experience for me and my family. I hosted two Japanese High school students (1 boy and 1 girl) for two weeks. They were very pleasant, mannerable and courteous. Both presented us with house presents and we learned the art of origami. My son taught them how to play chess and we all took trips touring our city! Really had a ball at the museums!

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• OP here. It's something I've always wanted to do, but I'm not sure if I can at this point. Do they have to have their own room?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Yep! We've had 3!
    Emma was our first. She came to us the summer of 05. She is so much fun! She taught us so much about the Chinese culture that we didnt already know [my mom helped open the first WalMart in china & lived there for about 2 years.] she taught us to cook authentic chinese food. she's very giving and loyal. She's actually going to college here in the US and is staying with us on holidays. she's like an adopted sister to me.
    Courtney was our second. She wasnt as much fun, but it also might have been because i was hormonal and pregnant. She would hover over everything i did and she wasnt very studious when she got here. Her grades started slipping and she had to go back [also from China]. She wasn't very neat, as Emma was.
    Vera was only with us for a short while, but she taught us some martial arts and a bit about the Chinese orchestra.
    They are a blessing. You should really try it out!
    nikkimichele

Answer by nikkimichele at 4:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Nope never had one. But it is something I would consider because my DH was a foreign exchange student and it went well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My sister did it and had a horrible experience. The boy ended up having to be sent home. Make sure whatever organization you do it though is REPUTABLE and has policies in place to deal with problems right away!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My parents hosted one when I was in highschool. It was great, she and I stayed in touch well through college. My best friends parents also hosted one at the same time and she was equally nice. We all had a great summer.
    loveTHM

Answer by loveTHM at 8:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my family hosted a girl from france when i was in high school. she was nice and well mannered. an emergency situation came up and i think 4 or 5 kids needed a place to go, so we volunteered since i was studying french at school. she taught me some about their culture so that was neat. it was a good experience and it was different for me because i always had my own room and she stayed in my room while she was here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 30, 2010