Cough*Cough*Cough all night!

My son is 14 months oldd. He has already beeen reallly sick about 4 times in his little life. He had to be hospitalized when he was 11 months cause he had such a high fever it caused a seiger.. It was an extremely scary time for mee. Especially cause he was a preemie so everytime he is sick i freak outt. So he came down with a pretty bad cold in the end of decemberr, and i took him to the Pedi right away and of course they say he is fine and dont do anything so i took there wordd. His daytime sicknesss went away pretty quick but it was sticking with him at night!! So i took him the doctor for a second time and they said the same thing againnn. But it has been a month and still wakes up in the middle of the night with a cough and congestion! I dont know what else to do except get advice from those who know best.... That's You guysss! :) Mommy's! so please give me any advice or tricks!

Thank you, Leanne (Ethan's Mommy!)

EthansMommy1120

Asked by EthansMommy1120 at 4:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is not normal to be sick for that long so I would take him back to the doctor maybe find a better one. Also try a humidifier in his room, vapor rub on his feet with socks, tea with honey, light compression on his back to break it up. I think the doctor os being stupid so I would demand they make sure he is ok, being sick this long is not normal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:11 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Go to the bathroom with him. Shut the door and turn on the hot water.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 4:12 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i have all of your wonderful tipss and it works for the night but its just the same every nightt.and I have seen two different doctorss!
    EthansMommy1120

Answer by EthansMommy1120 at 5:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I just worry he might have bronchitis or something along those lines and the doctors are being dismissive because they don't understand. I would make them do thorough testing.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It is normal for coughs to last 6-8 weeks as well as the congestion lasting 4-6 weeks. I would take him back and tell the doc that you want them to give you some medicine for cough so that your baby cans sleep through the night. My doc has let me give OTC sudafed and Robitussin when mine is sick. I give very little amounts and keep a close eye on her and only do it right before her nap and bedtime. There is something that they can do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The nurse at our doctor's office suggested giving our son Benedryl before he goes to bed at night. Post-nasal drip can cause the coughing and make it worse at night. If he's only coughing at night and it's a dry cough, listen for wheezing. My son (also a preemie) was put on an inhaler because of wheezing and it helps. It still takes a couple of days to get a cough-free night but it does stop. I took three visits to the doctor for her to finally be able to catch the wheeze. Since it doesn't always happen, it can be trickier to diagnose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• did u have him checked for acid reflux my neice was the same way cough all night long she had her checked
    bingo she had acid reflux
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Cool mist humidifier with about a tablespoon of salt per gallon, elevated head, and back to the doctor if it doesn't go away. It could be asthma or allergies, it could be bronchitis, or it could simply be dry winter air. We run a humidifier non-stop in DD's room to keep the night coughs away. If it isn't on at least at night, the next day she is congested and hoarse, and coughs more the next night. She is almost 14 months. I wouldn't give any otc cough meds. Usually a cough is there for a reason, and the meds could disguise the severity of it, especially in a younger child where how they sound is the only way to tell how bad it is.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2010