lab puppy

i was just wandering how much you would pay for a purebreed lab puppy without papers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pets

• without papers I wouldn't pay more than 200, papers prove they are purebred and that they are free of genetic issues like hip displaysia.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i wouldnt.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 9:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• And papers do NOT prove that they are free of genetic issues like hip dysplasia.
    I have a full AKC registered GermanShepherd whom I paid 1500 dollars just to own.
    His lineage is documented past 5 generations all with OFA ratings on hips and elbows for good or excellent.
    My dog still got elbow dysplasia, and a torn ACL by 3 years old.

While you can go the good route and take all the precautions you aren't guaranteed ANYTHING. However I would not buy a purebred without papers and good linage, because your chances are greater.

Educate yourself. Labs are completely over-bred and it has destroyed the breed.
    If you want a FB lab, go to a real breeder, and pay for it.

There are always exceptions - but I'd take the safe route.

Why not go with a pound puppy?
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No papers- no deal if I were into purebreds. I prefer shelter/rescued dogs. We currently have a lab mix and she is a blast. We got to pick what we wanted, and she didn't get put down. At most shelters, animals only have a three week window in which to get adopted unless you can find a no-kill shelter. We don't have any no-kill in our area. At the ones where they have limited space and aren't no-kill, an animal will be put down if not adoted in a certain amount of time to save the shelter space and food. I really urge you to check out your local shelters before paying money for a dog that is supposed to be purebred but has no papers to prove it. You could save a dog's life, and shelter dogs are great fun to have, especially if you have children.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Well my papered yellow lab's papers say FREE of genetic hip dysplasia. But we got her for free because I helped take care of her litter and her parents for their owner while he worked. He sold the puppies for 800 bucks to other people and they had excellent breeding and great hunting background except my dog will retrieve every stick out of the lake around the duck in question it is so funny.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• FooLynnRoo,

A torn ACL isn't a genetic issue. Most common ACL injuries occur after a dog has over extended their ACL. It is not a genetic issue, no one can say for sure your dog won't tear his/her ACL.

AKC papers don't always mean a dog won't get health problems, but a papered dog is less likely to experience issues.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I think I paid 130 to adopt my mixed lab pound puppy. That included first shots and spaying. When we were looking at buying they wanted $400 and up. Like up to $1200. That was insane! Are you looking to buy or to sell?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2010