Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taxed on tax refund?

I don't know about other states but I heard California is ridiculously taxing taxpayers on previous years' tax refund! They consider tax refund an income? If it's true, my goodness, the bird brain who came out with this ridiculous idea of robbing citizens ought to be fired!

Answer Question

Asked by wanita61 at 5:30 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 5 (85 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • No they can't do that a tax refund is not income it is what you overpaid in taxes so they can't tax something that was already taxed.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:32 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • If you deducted federal taxes paid in 2008 on your 2008 state tax return, then you have to add back the 2008 federal refund you got in 2009 since it that amount ended up not actually being paid...but you get to deduct the amount you've paid in during 2009.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.