So what's so bad about bleach?

I'm always hearing that bleach is not green and that we should clean with green products. Can someone please tell me how cleaning with bleach negatively affects the environment? I've tried cleaning the green way...but I like bleach.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It is corrosive and the fumes are not healthy to breathe in but I agree it works best for me as well.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It works on everything, you can even disinfect water with it so that you can drink it. I will always keep bleach around. By the way bleach is the only cleaner out there that will actually kill the HIV and AIDS viruses. So I know that it will kill anything else. It does however have horrific fumes so I guess that is what they mean by the not being green and it is super corrosive.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It's still the number 1 disinfectant recommended by the health department. What you have is a bunch of overzealous health freaks scaring the crap out of everybody.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• "green" or not i use it and will continue to use it. why fix something that isn't broken? most of these "green" products don't work as well and i am sure just take your money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Well the smell of bleach gives me a migraine so that's why I don't use it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Bleach is made of biodegradable salts of clorine -- it's as green as it gets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't know about the whole green movement but I do know why I don't use bleach. It is a corrosive and a poison. If it comes in contact with human skin then the person gets sick from it going straight into their body. They will continue to smell like bleach and become tired due to trauma. I stopped using it when my son came along. I use a Melaluca alternative that isn't as damaging to the skin.
    PurlWise

Answer by PurlWise at 8:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• bleach is green actually when it comes to environmental impact. i think the science spot even did a journal about it.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:23 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• its a very dangerous chemical for 1, its dangerous to breath in the fumes and god forbid the kids get a hold of it, it can damage certain surfaces and ruin clothes ect ect ect.

Scientific research has shown that a cleaning with peroxide and vinegar kills germs just the same as bleach and its much more safe to use....just spray with the vinegar, wipe clean, spray with peroxide, wipe clean and your done, same amount of germs have been killed and you havent exposed yourself to dangerous chemicals in the process.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• bleach was used to kill jews in the gas chambers, thats how it was developed, as a poisonous gas to kill human beings.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2010