when did you switch your child from a crib to a toddler bed? my son is 16 1/2 months old and i am due with #2 when he is 22 months old.

I don't know if i should try to switch him before that or if i should just buy a second crib. when did ya'll switch your kids to a toddler bed? did you feel it was a mistake after you did it and wish you would have kept them in the crib longer? thanks

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before the new baby is born. Change your so to a regular bed. Yes you can do it now if you want. Will give him time to get us to it before the baby arrives.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• We switched at 12 months but I know that's a bit early for most. I would switch well before the new baby arrives so that he doesn't feel like the baby stole *his* crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My daughter was born when my son was 22 months old, and he didn't go to a toddler bed until 2.5 years. The baby sleeps in a pack-n-play next to my bed for easy access in the middle of the night, and so she doesn't wake up her brother. Plus, because he was ready, I didn't have to fight to get him to stay in bed.

You can switch your son to a toddler bed before the new baby gets here. If you do that, I'd probably go ahead and do it now so he gets used to it and doesn't resent the baby for taking his bed.

Or, if you don't want to do that but feel like you have to, another option would be to put the baby in a pack-n-play until your son's a little bit older and more ready for a toddler bed. It's a lot cheaper than a crib, and it's portable so you might be able to get more use out of it than you would a second crib. And then when they're both older, move your son to a toddler bed and the baby to the crib.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I swtiched him at 15 months
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• we switched at 15 months, because a) he was walking well and b) dd was gonna be born the next month. i say if he's walking well then go for it
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Buy a second crib if you can afford it. We switched our son at 22 months but only because he climbed out of the crib. It took a while to get him adjusted to the bed because he didn't quite understand the whole thing. The last thing you want to be doing with a newborn is chasing your toddler around because he won't stay in bed! Also, there's no reason you can't move directly to a regular bed (or even just a matrress on the floor). We did that to eliminate having to deal with another transition (i.e. toddler bed to regular bed). Our son is tall so he wouldn't have fit for long in a toddler bed anyway.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I switched my first to toddler bed right after he climbed out for the first time at 18 months. Baby #2 is just 12 months and still in his crib. Although as much of a climber as he is I wouldn't be surprised if he climbs out sooner. I had considered moving him already but he moves a LOT in his sleep so I'm not ready to switch him just yet. If you do buy another crib, maybe go with a convertible crib. While 6 months of time would be plenty of time for some kids to adjust, others would have a harder time with it and regress back to wanting to be the "baby" after the new baby arrives. I
    Anonymous