Anyone work at Wal-Mart : )

I heard a rumor that they are doing away with the fabric department at all the walmarts. Is it true? If so, do you know if they are going to be putting all the items in the department on clearance, and if so, when? I'd like to stock up on some stuff and buy a sewing machine, but thought I'd wait if they are!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Shopping

• Wal marts around here quit the fabric department a few years ago. They just started putting some craft stuff back out but it's only one small isle and no fabric or yarns, just beads and jewelry findings. I think the only reason they did that is because they bought out JoAnn fabrics :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Ours went bye bye with the October remodel.Crafts are still here though
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The ones where we live got rid of that almost three years ago. The crafts are strictly kid stuff, and if I need any supplies, its a 45 minute drive at least to find what I need, or ordering it from a catalog. When they shut the fabric/art dept down at ours, it all went on clearance. I got some really good upholstery fabric for maybe $1 per yard. Just keep an eye on it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Yes - they are all doing away with it. The entire 'crafts' department is being done away with. There will now only be a few standard craft things. They do away with it when the store re-models. So if you are going to stock up - do it soon.
    BTW - I used to be a manager at WM and was in on the marketing meetings surrounding this.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2010