Im switching from an infant car seat to a bigger one. What are some great easy seats that dont cost a fortune??

arismom701

Asked by arismom701 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cosco Scenara, $55 a Walmart and Target. Rear Faces til 35 lbs, and ff to 40 lbs. Buys you a few years til you purchase another seat.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• We had/have the Cosco Scenera (sp?) it was about $60 and it does the job. Not High end but we used it for both kids. Great cheap option. We just upgraded to the Graco MyRide 65 which I got on sale at Target .com for $120 (usually $150) plus free shipping this week. GREAT deal.

Oh and Toys R Us is doing the car seat trade in where you can bring in your old car seat and get 25% off a new one. We did that for our older DD and got her the Graco Nautilus for $134 (usually $180)

Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I love the Evenflo Triumph Advance. The shoulder straps slide up and down so you don't have to practically take the seat apart to thread them through different holes as your kid grows. And it has knobs on the sides of the seat for tightening the straps so you don't have to contort yourself to pull the strap between the legs. It rear-faces to 35 lbs, forward-faces to 50. Costs about $130, but if you wait until Babies 'R' Us has a coupon or sale, you can get it for $110-115.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:01 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've been through a lot of these seats between my nephew (he lived with us) being a Nanny, and now my own son. The Britax ones look really nice, but they're so expensive. I think they're pretty similar to the design of the Graco's but they have more padding for your child's comfort. We have a Graco. It's easy to use, and our son is comfortable.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:03 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have the cosco brands. Keep an eye out for deals online with free shipping. I have the scenera for about $50 at walmart. THat's in my moms car and does the job. It's low end, but have not have any problems with installing it, no complaints from daughter about comfort, and no issues with it moving around after being installed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The Cosco Scenera. It's a bare bones seat but its got great safety ratings. Both of my kids use/used them.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:38 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've had britax since my kids got out of their infant seats.

I love the Britax Boulevard which is rear facing to 35 lbs and forwards facing to 65 lbs.
    They are definately more expensive than other car seats, but I love not having to rethread the harness, as it is adjusted with a knob on the side and the higher weight limits.

For children 2 and older that Britax Frontier is fantastic. FF only, harness until 80 lbs and then booster until 100 lbs.

If you go to bizrate you can search for the car seat that you are interested in and find the best price.
    The Britax Frontier is normally close to $300 and I have gotten 2 for under $200 including shipping + no sales tax.

When comparing prices take a look at when you are going to have to buy another seat. A lot of the cheaper ones have a 40 or 44 lb limit which means you could be buying yet another seat in just a year or 2 depending on the size of your child.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The Scenera is a really great carseat. It's easy to install, safe, and comfortable. It's not immensely padded or anything, but my daughter will sit in it for hours without complaint. That is what we switched to when she outgrew her infant carrier. I got it on sale last year at Target.. it was like $40. I was SOOOOO happy! I think they run around $50-60 normally.

For the new baby we are getting a Graco Comfortsport. They are on sale through Amazon right now for $92 with free shipping. I've heard they are pretty easy to install (in most cars.. I can't say for all of them obviously), have fantastic support and cushioning, and are very safe. They go rearfacing to 30lbs and FF to 40. You might want to check with one of the carseat groups here on CM for more info.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Go to Babies 'R' Us and look. They have a wide selection of carseats, and a mock back seat where you can install them yourself and play with them to get a feel for them and which one fits your needs best. They'll also let you try them out in your car to see if they fit. Even if you don't end up buying from BRU, it's worth going to see what you want and then shop for deals elsewhere.
    Anonymous