Healthy alternative to butter/margarine?

I need a healthy alternative to margarine, any ideas? I really only need it for toast as I use nothing on cooked veggies.

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 9:14 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Health

• Oh damn, I dont' know. I refuse to use anything but butter lol. Actually at walmart they sell a "peanut butter" but it's made with Flax Seed Oil and flax seeds. I forgot the name of it. But it's really tasty and really healthy. My dog ate my jar so I don't have one to copy the name from
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:29 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Olive oil
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Benecol and Smart Balance are good in limited amounts (if you must have a butter-like taste).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:00 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Real organic butter is real food. We use real food ingredients. "Spreads" are filled with weird chemicals to make them seem like food.

If it's just for toast, why not a little raw almond butter for protein? Or make home made lemon curd? Or whip a little banana with honey and spread it on.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've found that the "I can't believe it's not butter" tastes better then smart balance, it costs about the same, I think. But we've tried a bunch of different ones and it's the best, just make sure to check whatever you're using that there is nothing that is hydroganated in it, I think I spelled that right. Even if the label says there are no trans fats in it...if you find the word hydrganated in the ingredients...they're still there.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Butter is healthier than most margarines. I use Earth Balance when I need something vegan.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• peanut butter or honey or pb and honey?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Apple butter. Peach butter. No fat, lower in sugar than jams & preserves, and tasty! It's easy to make your own and avoid all the preservatives/additives in store bought stuff.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2010