Clothes: What isn't appropriate for your child?

Anything? Why or why not?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 9:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• obviously "styles" should be age appropriate. it's like letting a 2 year old watch a pg 13...NOT.....Clothes should be age appropriate.
    At ANY AGE, I don't believe shorts should be shorter than JUST ABOVE their knees, no sleeveless shirts, so they must have a cap sleeve or LONGER. No midrifts showing nothing "low cut" on the chest. Swim suits are tankinis or one pieces.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• well,I have a boy and I don't think they make inappropriate things for him yet,he's 8.Later on I guess shirts with drug,alcohol,or tobacco themes.Those pants that hang off their butts,or "wife beater" shirts.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I can't think of anything my sons will not be allowed to wear.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:57 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The only thing I have ever told my son he was absolutely NOT allowed to buy was a t-shirt in the mall that said "I'm just one big f@*king ray of sunshine aren't I". He was 13 or 14 and the next time he went to the mall with his friends he bought it with his money, so I just forbid him from wearing it, and told him he wasted the money and i was not going to let him return it either. asked if he could wear it in his bedroom only and I said fine but it is never to come out of his room and I haven't seen it since. I actually think it is in his dresser still and NEVER been worn. Other than that we haven't had any clothes issues.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My boys aren't allowed to wear clothes with profanity or otherwise offensive sayings on them. They also will not be allowed to wear baggy jeans that hang down showing their underwear or "skinny jeans".( sorry, those are for girls) I'm just glad I have boys because it seems almost impossible to find modest, appropriate clothing for girls these days that don't make them look like street walkers.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I forgot to add that the F-word was really spelled out, no symbols!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have 5 kids and they all dress fine, I would never let my girls dress like little hoochie mama's..lol.. but they can look cute and have taste at every age.I think it's a form of who they are to let them pick out outfits and shoes, as long as they are weather appropriate.Art is important in so many ways it shines through~!~ALL children have a favorite color, and style I like when they share it with us!~ SmIlEs~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• shirts with vulgar sayings or pictures or having to do with drugs...I would not be happy if my son wore droopy pants-you know letting his underwear show to everyone-where you have to wonder why the pants don't just fall off...tops that show too much in my daughter's case- or super short shorts or short skirts without leggings or shorts underneath
    and for her we don't like heels
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:16 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Bethsunshine - you say skinny pants are only for girls. What if your son wanted to be a girl? Would he be allowed to wear them then?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't get the issue with skinny jeans either...but then som moms prolly don't care about the baggy ones where thier butt hangs out so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:25 AM on Jan. 30, 2010