• In the Spotlight:

Hypochondriac or apendicitis?

We all know that webmd.com can turn even the smartest of us into hypochondriacs, wondering if we have a serious ailment when in fact we are perfectly fine.
I woke up this morning with a pain on the lower right portion of my abdomen. There is no way it could be my period. When I peed it hurt worse. But when I am sitting or standing, I can ignore the dull pain. Webmd said it could be appendicitis. I hate going to the hospital unless I really really need to(thats where I caught the lovely cold I have now). How long should I wait before I should think about calling a doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Health

• I would give it a little time especially if the pain is not severe.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Call your doctor, don't wait. It could be a kidney stone. Or an ovarian cyst. Or anything!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:08 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Since you have no idea what it could be I would go and have it checked out just to be sure. Apendicitis could be dangerous if it explodes.

Answer by older at 10:19 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• have you taken anything for the pain? did it help?
    when I had my appendix problem hit it hit HARD and NOTHING worked for the pain
    if it persists or gets worse then you should go and have it checked out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I may be wrong but I believe usually when your appendix is the issue you are VERY sick and throwing up and fever and just severely ill. But like said above it could be an ovarian cyst. Or, it could even be ovulation pain if you aren't on the pill.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I was in severe pain, went to my ob (this was about 2mo after my c sect) to see if it was related. Her stupid nurse practioner told me my appendix was gonna rupture cuz she'd gone thru "the same thing". Was rushed down to the er, checked in & spent the next 7 hrs in hell. my dd who's breastfeeding was w/ me the whole time (hubby came from work but we thought I might need surgery so he refused to take dd home). I wasn't offered any fluids even though the dr saw me breastfeeding 2xs, no iv, no water NOTHING, when I asked for water I was brought 4 drops in a dixie cup they use @ the dentist office, ya know the really small ones! long story short my appendix was fine, the pain was residual from the c sect. My point to all this is don't let webmd frighten you, the drs don't know what they're doing anyway!! If you are in severe pain & can't stand up or lie down then its time to call your dr, ask them about the er trip.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• DH got appendicitis a few years ago. The test to see if it was that a nurse told us to grip the tender area, and then the person bends over. If the pain increases to extreme levels, there's good chance it is appendicitis. Regardless, you should go to the doctor to get tests done. You don't need to go to the hospital unless the pain is unbearable and you doctor is either unavailable or tells you to head in to the hospital.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• the above answers are why I've pretty much given up on western medicine- when something doesn't work it doesn't work.
    Anonymous