Catholics celebrate the sabbath? why would you think they don't?

this question was in another question. I don't understand why a person would think Catholics don't observe the sabbath?

From Saturday night to Sunday night you can a Mass, Rosary, prayer service, donut breakfast or taco dinner happening at Churches all around the United States.

Where did this misconception come from? It is very clear in the Catholic religion, keep holy the sabbath.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 10:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My guess is that the anon in the previous question meant the Sabbath as the Jews (and some Christians) keep/kept it--sundown Friday until sundown on Saturday.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:28 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I didn't mention the word "sabbath" in my previous post, but Catholics do have a liberal view on the sabbath from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday. But It isn't as if we rush to church an hour before sundown ;but we can go to Church on Saturday night. from my understanding it is Sunday because of the Resurrection.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:15 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The Bible Sabbath is actually the one kept by the Jews--sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. "Keeping holy" the Sabbath entails a lot more than just attending services. ( I'm only attending virtual services today,myself. )
    It is observing the 24 hour period set aside by God (Exodus 20:8-11) as a time of communion with God, fellowship, corporate worship, visiting the sick and shut-in... (Is. 58:13) It's basically a day for us to set aside the cares of the world for a weekly date with the Lord.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• glad I dont have to wait a week to do that... It can be done any day of the week to go visit, to spend time with the Lord. I choose a daily date with Him. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• AMEN SHaneagle!
    Anonymous

• shaneagle, I don't wait a week either and many Catholics don't. Kids in Catholic schools go to Mass at least once during the week and sometimes twice. I pray the rosary and walk with the Lord each and every single day. I set aside a time during the day just to pray and connect with God. On Sunday we gather as a community and worship. Just as you said, we meet with him daily and sometimes hourly!

The day we are to observe is the 7th day and if the discrepancy we are talking here is the fact Catholics go to Mass on Saturday/Sunday that comment should have been directed at a much larger group than Catholics as it wasn't only me who said they recognized the sabbath. However, you are speculating on what that comment means. Honestly, I really don't get into debates on what the "7th" day is the right day as my 7th day is Sunday but my husband's 7th day is Wednesday and I have yet to see any of these days in the Bible.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have to wait to give Him a WHOLE day uninterrupted, or else my house would be uninhabitable,I'd be unemployed, and my kids would go hungry. Resting 7 days a week wouldn't be holy, that'd be lazy. I do all the activities any day of the week,but not for a whole day.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• People just feel a need to be negative about anything that is different then their own religion. I don't understand it. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I meant no disrespect in my reply,KattyKitten.
    Shan, you'd do well to go back and read all the verses on humility. I suspect that you make condecending remarks to cover your
    Obvious lack of actual knowledge of the Bible. Much of what you say reminds me of Dutch Sheets. (Ever heard of him?) I'll pray for both us right now. Will you do the same?

Ryansmom,I understand it totally. Condescension comes naturally to some people.
    "Such were some of you..." (1 Cor. 6:11)
    <---- struggles with that. All prayers from true warriors welcomed!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I didn't take your response as disrespect. I just don't enter the 7th day argument anymore because we all have our idea of the 7th day and we are not going to change our mind.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010