doctor wants me to go on zoloft for my PPD.. but I`m breastfeeding? Tyler is almost 5 months... should i just give up on the breatfeeding? They said that its okay to take it while breatstfeeding but it does show up in the breast milk.. I`m not to sure if i want to take that chance but I`m def. off balenced since the birth of him... I havent taken it yet.. i`m nervous... what are your thought? and advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HI, from what I understand the amount that the baby gets is so small it's not a big deal. 2ndly you have to do whats best for you.If your not 100% your baby will feel that to, and you'll feel so much better after you balance out it'll show in everything you do.I have a sister on Zoloft and I was on Prozac with my 3rd baby and yes it was needed and I am so thankful for it.If you do a pro's and con's list that should help.I know it's hard to make the desiscion but if it's nessessary then it is what it is. Don't let others appinions get you upset if they are negative some will always be just that negative so mabee if they where to take their med.'s they could be happy too.We all need a little help once in a while some more than others.It;s okay! Take care of you so you can take care of baby~hugs~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Are you aware of what is in formula? Formula is great - if you need it. However, while zoloft does show up in the milk, it has been shown not to affect the baby.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If it's not your OB/GYN who is recommending that you take the medication, call him or her to ask for a second opinion. I'd feel more comfortable with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I took Zoloft with my first and the Genric Brand of Zoloft with my second. Both my girls are fine. With my first my midwife even recommend I see my Dr for depression and will most likly put on Zoloft. She said it is safe to take well breast feeding. You do not need to stop breastfeeding at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Has your doctor recomended counsiling? Just because PPD is "common" doesn't mean that it is "normal". There are lots of groups on here that deal with birth trauma, adjusting to motherhood, etc. Personally I would start there if you haven't already. If you have already tried that route, I wish you the best in your decision, and healing. Feel free to contact me any time.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Zoloft is the antidepressant of choice for nursing moms. Very little of it gets into breastmilk and it is virtually undetectable in the babies. Breastfeeding with a little Zoloft is WAY better for your baby than formula feeding. Studies have shown that when mom is depressed it effects babies development. Babies who are breastfed do much better and show fewer adverse effects from moms depression. So, treat the depression AND keep breastfeeding. that is what is best for both of you!!!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I started taking zoloft when my daughter was a month old and breastfed her until she was 14 months. I am pregnant again and still on zoloft. I can't come off of it though, which is a big problem now that I'm pregnant, because I can't function w/out it :(
    MooreTrio

Answer by MooreTrio at 3:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If you are not comfortable with taking Zoloft while your breastfeeding then it is best to avoid it because it may add more anxiety to you. Zoloft and pregnancy is also something controversial similar to taking Zoloft while breastfeeding because it does pass through breast milk. There are other treatment options that you could try to keep yourself balanced.

AngelenaMays

Answer by AngelenaMays at 8:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2012