Have you used the Cry It Out method to teach your baby to sleep through the night?

My 9 month old used to sleep through the night. Then we moved to a new house and he is getting worse and worse during the night. I rock him to sleep and when he wakes up at night I always end up putting him in bed with me. I know I've already spoiled him and messed up his sleep habits. I would really like to get him back on track. Tell me your experiences letting your babies cry it out at night. What was your method? What were the results?

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 11:33 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i was going to do the CIO method but i felt so guilty because she would cry and cry and after 5mins i gave up. so now what i am going to try to do because i am home more. bath quiet time in pack and play with music and then bed. sometimes video and some times book. i think as long as there is quiet time after the bath i think she will be fine. last night it worked like a charm. sometimes i let her play a little after the bath so she gets a little tired. but she was spoiled in my bed to fall asleep. she is 10months. but i have to say this even though i do sometimes sleeper in my bed i do transfer her to her crib and she is fine. just have to try different things. sometimes they do go through growth spurts and sleep more or sleep less. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:37 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I used it. My daughter is much older than that, I wouldn't recommend CIO for a baby under 1. But I'm expecting again and I couldn't be nursing and cosleeping with two babies all night, so we had to do something. I tried a gradual transition, but my daughter is stubborn and knows what she wants, and that was to be in bed with mommy! I also tried going in every few minutes to soothe her and put her back down, but me going in only made it worse, because she always expected me to get her up, so she would just cry for longer.

What I do is have a bedtime routine. Then I read 3 books, sing 2 songs and put her in her crib with her teddy bear, turn on her nightlight and close the door.

CONT with outcomes
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• At first she cried and cried and screamed and cried some more. I HATED IT and it BROKE MY HEART. She cried for over an hour a few times. I wanted so badly to go in and comfort her, but doing so only made it worse. So I just let her cry until she went to sleep. Sometimes she would fall asleep standing up or sitting up in her crib, and she would just wake back up. At first, I went in to comfort her when she would wake up. I'd rock her in our rocking chair a few minutes and sing her a song, but not let her nurse and then put her back in bed to CIO some more.

Her voice was hoarse for a week after she got the hang of going to sleep on her own. It took about two weeks but now she cries for a minute or two when she goes down and then doesn't cry all through the night.

I still miss her terribly in our bed :( But I know there was nothing for it, it had to be done.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No I didn't until they were older. I figured that they were only little once and that I could only cuddle them to sleep for so long, so I did. When they were about 18 months I started the CIO for sleep.
    There was nothing I HAD to do that was more important than cuddling my baby. I am talking about bedtime.
    Now for middle of the night sleep, I would stick to my guns about sleeping in their bed if you don't want them in yours. It will take the better part of a week to get them to stay in their own bed and there will be little sleep for you. I would cuddle your LO in their room until they are asleep and then put them back in bed. My youngest cried for days because he just wanted to go to my bed. But I was cuddling him and soothing him, I was not leaving him alone in his crib. After a few days he got to where he would go to sleep and I would put him in his own bed and then go to mine. Be consistent it won't last forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I believe in co-sleeping. I think that letting a baby cry for more than a few minutes is cruel and I would never do it.

You need to research how CIO affects babies, and make your own decision.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't call our method strict CIO. We put DS in his jammies, give him a bottle, and let him relax. Then we take him to his room, turn the lights off and his music on and hold/rock him for a few minutes until he is nice and calm then lay him down. He'll cry for a few minutes then usually get comfy and go right to sleep. If he stands up and cries, or doesn't stop after about 5 minutes then he's not ready for bed so we get him and start the process over. As for waking up at night, most of the time he'll play for a few minutes then go back to sleep. If he cries, I give him 5-10 minutes to calm himself down (often he has thrown a toy out of the crib and is pissed he can't get it). Most of the time he goes back to sleep no trouble. I do not , leave him screaming his head off for an hour. We never bring him to bed with us. We knew from other's experience this would be a hard habit to break so we just didn't start it.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 12:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• you didn't spoil him or mess him up. night waking especially at that age is normal and common.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• He's scared and he's transitioning to the new home. He's not spoiled at 9 months. He wants to feel safe and secure. That's what that is NOT being spoiled. CIO is cruel and inhumane if you ask me. How would you feel if you were little and alone and scared? It's a mom's job to make a baby feel safe.
    Anonymous

• I wholeheartedly agree with Anon 1:19pm. Not to mention at 9 months baby is going through yet another growth spurt and could possibly be teething. In any of these cases (moved into a new home, teething, medical condition and growth spurt) CIO is not recommended per CIO advocates. Have you looked into the No Cry Sleep Solution?

Anonymous

• 9 months is also prime separation anxiety time and not a good time to "sleep train". I bring baby into bed with me so that I can continue to parent and meet her needs during the night with less interruption to my sleep.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2010