So how do you stop your 2 teenage boys from ripping each others heads off and what kind of punishment do you use for fighting?

I have two teenage boys, one 15 one 13, that can't get along for nothing. I know they are at that age but it is really trying my patience. So any ideas on how to lessen the fights and what kind of punishment and when to use it? Cause right now I'm ready to duct tape them to the chairs when I leave the house. (Just kidding but it's tempting).

Sherri
www.cafemom.com/group/work_at_home_parents

berrishaker

Asked by berrishaker at 11:41 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• mine do the same thing- drives me batty.
    (they are 16 and 13) I separate them and make a drink! *kidding
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:46 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• When my brother and I used to fight like that my dad would clear a space in the living room floor and tell us no holds barred, go for it. We would either decide that the fight wasn't worth dukeing it out or we would go at each other and get it out of our systems.

Unless one is much, MUCH bigger than the other, this might be a good way to solve problems between them. I know it's totally barbaric, but you can't STOP fights between siblings. You can only give them an outlet for their frustrations. Boys are better about this than girls, don't let your girls fight, it will be to the death AND girls harbor shit for a LOOONNGGGG time, it will only create more problems, but it generally solves problems between boys, in my experience.

Probably not the best answer you're gonna get lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Anon here, I just wanted to add that I'm not a boy lol. I just fight like one :p
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• make them stand in the corner and hug one another for 30 min. thats what my mom used to do to my brothers
    amanda421967

Answer by amanda421967 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My dad bought boxing gloves and protective head gear and would let them have at it in the back yard. I don't know if I'll do it for my boys when they're teenagers but I know it really worked with my brothers because well I mean they were going to fight anyways and until they find out who the stronger one actually is they're going to pick at each other. Boys are like pack animals the alpha HAS to be established and since that's normally the dad then they move onto the second in command which once boys reach the teenage years they're less likely to accept age as an excuse.
    Anonymous

• I raised 4 sons (they are 18, 19, 22 and 23) and fighting was NOT allowed...nothing verbal and nothing physical. If something started we stepped in immediately, made them go to their rooms and they had to think of & write out 10 good things about their brother that they were having a moment with (this was until they were out of high school). They also had to sit down and resolve their dispute with a real conversation. Hubby and I do not argue. We may get frustrated but we have learned to walk away, to write what it that we like about the other person down and to calm down enough to discuss why were upset. Our sons saw us doing what we expected of them and as adults they know how to discuss their issues without yelling or being aggressive. My 23yo's wife actually hates that she cannot goad my son in to an argument, he would rather talk & solve than argue which is a strange concept to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It's a normal thing. Males have that testosterone and as teens it's high which makes them aggressive. Then they have that Alpha Male thing going on so it's not unusual. They need to channel that energy and use it for good. I'd get them into sports. It will help discipline them. If they are already into sports then ask their coach. He deals with it all the time.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010