Your child receives clothes you do not find appropriate as a gift, how do you handle it?

Do you return it? Not allow your child to wear them? Donate them? Or something else?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 11:43 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• return it and get something else...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:44 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I say thank you and then after a couple of weeks/months (depending on who gave it to them) I donate them to goodwill.

www.cafemom.com/group/work_at_home_parents
    berrishaker

Answer by berrishaker at 11:45 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Return it. If this gift giver is going to continue to give your child gifts then a conversation w/ them about what is appropriate & what's not might be in order. Is this a too sexy outfit or one you just don't like? If its just a matter of personal preference then don't say anything. If someone's buying your 3 yr old stripper outfits then time to sit em down & explain how you are gonna dress your kids.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If someone is close enough to get my daughter clothes as a gift, they are close enough for me to ask for the receipt so I can take it back. And I would absolutely tell them why! It would probably go something like this: "I need the receipt for that, because Grace is not gonna be wearing those hoochie clothes. She's not one of your scanky friends going to the clubs, she's your niece/cousin/sister/whatever."
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

------
    Ditto. Only replace "Grace" with "Lakeiah"...
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 11:51 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

Yup but replace "Grace" with "Aya"
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If I have a gift receipt I will exchange it for something more appropraite. If I don't have a gift receipt it will eventually end up donated, new with tags.

My mom sometimes buys things for my daughter that she is not allowed to wear. When this happens I do let my mom know why so she won't buy anything similar again because i know my mom doesn't want to waste money or cause problems for my daughter. I know it is starnge that my mom would buy things that are inappropriate, but my husband is pretty conservative and has a problem with some things that i think are ok. The deal is, if either of us don't like it for any reason, then it is not worn; I have given up trying to make him see that some things actually aren't that bad.

If the gift is from someone else, we just smile and say thanks.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be so rude and tactless as to ask for the receipt. I would take the clothes back to the store where they were bought and ask to return them and get store credit, so I could get something more appropriate. Most stores will allow store credit without receipt.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• donate it, or modify it. If it's sleeveless (I have a prob with that) then put a simple short sleeved shirt under it etc. my in laws have this prob, as we have different standards....it's a tough situation, but tell them you appreciate thier gift, but you don't allow your kids to wear that kinda stuff.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Return it if it's possible, or else hang onto it to hand down. We've now flipped from being youngest baby in the family to oldest of the next generation. If it was good enough to give their nephew, they can't object to it going to their grandkids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010