Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

single mother getting back to school and living with parents

I am 25 years old and I just had my baby boy in september of 2009 and I have a few questions. I would like to know all grants I can get to help get back into school as well as how to get the most money I can get back on my taxes. I didnt make a lot last year only 10k and need help getting money together to help me keep my beautiful baby boy and start a life. I am in the Army national guard and that is my only income of 200$ a month which is why I moved back home with my parents to help take care of Anthony. I am really overwhelmed with medical bills since I did not have coverage till after anthony was born. I have tried looking online for assistance but really dont know what I am looking at. I am new to more than just being a new mother!! Help me figure this out please!! Thank you so much for at least reading :-)


Asked by 1stTimeMama111 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • look into the pell grant, you'll definitely qualify for that since you are a single mother (fill out a FASFA online because all federal grants and scholorship and school loans, you will have to). my sis in law is in the same circumstances. see if there are any scholorships through the national gaurd as well.
    I"d go on medicaide/state aide to help out. If you call the hospital where you had your baby they may work with you for a lower pay off amount than your actually hospital bills are!
    I don't know if your signed up for WIC, but do it, and sometimes they have information about school scholoarships and grants from different organizations helping single moms and low income families.
    I'm a SAHM of 3 and preg with keep working at your goals and you'll get there!!!! It's tough, but if you want it, you'll achieve it!
    xoxoxo best wishes, hoped I helped!

    Answer by sandypops at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • You can look for scholarships here:

    You probably qualify to have the IRS do your taxes. Contact them at 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).


    Answer by rkoloms at 11:48 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • If you choose a school, financial aid will help you step by step with getting grants and laons. The main federal grant and loan website

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • oh, and you can fill the FASFA after you've done your taxes, online!

    Answer by sandypops at 11:55 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • You qaulify for federal financial aid..fill out the fafsa, i just finished mine!!! With a child you get alot more money for school..same with taxes, youll get a few grand back for your son....just do your taxes apply for a PIN and go to the fafsa site..its FAFSA.GOV....its FREE NEVER PAY FOR A FAFSA site..the first F stands for FREE!!!! and that will start you on your way...GL Message me if you need more help!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010