Think ill be fired?

So i told my coworkers and my supervisor that if the weather was really bad not to look for me. Im expecting, and no one around my area knows how to drive in the snow!!! Well i wake up this morning and its sleeting REALLY bad, my govenor has declared a state of emergency, so i kinda figured theres no way my office would be open...i didnt bother to check (my fault i know)..i go outside and an SUV is sliding through the stopsign at the entrance of my neighborhood. So now i know for a fact im not budging!! My boss calls at like 11 and says i havent heard from you and you didnt show hope your not stuck in a ditch...so i call him back and tell him that i was rattled, and forgot all about it i apologize but we cant even make it 3 miles to walmart to get my sons meds, so i wont be in! See you monday..now the fact that he answered hte office phone makes me think its not open, he forwarded calls to his cell, but i dont know. CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would say you should have called. Even though u said dont expect me it is still your responsibility to call. I would not have went in either my life is worth more then a job. But you could be fired no call/no show and it is for cause so you most likely would not get unemployment. I wish you the best of luck!
    Anonymous

• CONT:: All he said was you should have called sooner, but im glad your okay...and i was like im sorry, i should have it slipped my mind....see you monday!! I work for a freakin call center, and my entire state is iced/snowed out....WTH are we even open for...its pretty self explanitory that we have no need to be open!!!! Im praying i dont get in trouble..but i will be pissed if i get written up/fired for not coming in..not calling was my fault..but i had to get the phones out of the car in that sludge!!!
    Anonymous

• If you told your supervisor up front not to expect you if the weather was bad, I think you should be fine.
    Anonymous

• YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED! That is your fault. If you get fired or written up that is on you. Just because you told your co-workers doesn't mean that you don't need to tell your boss. I also call bullshit on it slipping your mind. If it really did slip your mind, then you don't sound like an employee that wants or needs the job. If you were someone that wanted or needed the job you would have done everything in your power to either get to work or call your boss and keep them informed about you not being able to come in.
    Anonymous

• hey anon 12:13..the first line says COWORKERS AND SUPERVISOR!
    Anonymous

• Would you risk your life for a job? People in this town dont drive in ice and snow..its still sleeting and getting worse...if you would risk being pregnant to drive 28 miles to a minimum wage paying job..congrats..you are superwoman..or maybe heartless and dont care about coming home to family...the super lives across from the business...he could wlk!
    Anonymous

• Honey, I just spent the last day and a half at work because NO ONE COULD MAKE IT IN. I, packed a bag, took the dog to the boarders and booked a hotel room. I was there all day and most of today because NO ONE COULD MAKE IT IN. YES, I WOULD FIRE YOUR ASS!!! If I can do it, EVERYONE ELSE CAN TOO!

That's not an excuse.
    Anonymous

• You absolutely should have phoned.

Most states are "at will" states; you can be let go for no reason at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• You should have told a better lie when your boss called. You should have called in. People aren't supposed to wait on you and wonder what you feel like doing today. You may or may not be fired but if you are it will be for cause.
    Anonymous

• You should have called. I would expect at least a write up. When I was 6 months pregnant we had some really bad ice and I had my Dad drive me into work (my Husband is Firefighter and calling in was NOT an option for him). You didn't want to go in, thats fine but even if you did tell them the day before that if the weather was bad you weren't coming you should have called anyways. CYA (cover your ass).
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010