Freakin gah seriously?? ( vent about some bill collector)

We got this call, I answered the number was blocked and they asked for my husband. I asked who is called, they said their name that was it. They wouldnt tell me with who. So DH got ont he phone and they wouldnt tell him anything either just that he needed to pay them 35 dollars. After 15 mins of my DH yelling at him asking WHO ARE YOU??? WHO ARE YOU WITH?? The guy finally said it was for a book club. Still no name. Dh asked if we owed anything on our daughters books I said no besides that account is in my name not DHs. Eventually DH said look send me a bill. The guy said we cant do that. So DH said OK what comapny do you wokr for? Again no answer, DH said OK What is your number, again NO answer. He just kept pushing for bank info. DH said look you arent getting SH!T with out giving me info. The guy hung up on DH.
We have no outstanding bills at all so this was very odd. IF he was a bill collector he was a CONT>>>>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There are alot of scams out there like this, they will call and say you owe money and try to scare you into paying it, many times they actually get the money. I am like your DH I say send me something in the mail I will research it and get back to you. True collection agencies are usually very happy to do this and will offer to call you in a week after you have recieved the information.

You do have the right to ask for proof of a debt If they refuse to give it to you then i would be leary.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Horrible one. The scarey thing is that he had DHs info, Name ( full name) old address and number. We are getting ahold of the phone company to try to file a complaint and contacting the cops about it but gah really>?
    Anyone else have something like this happen before?
    Anonymous

• sounds like a scam?

bill collectors wil tell you who they are with
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Next time you get a calll - and you will - say at the start of the call that it's being recorded and record it. If their legitimate they won't mind being record it. If they collecting illegally which it sounds like they are, they won't want to be recorded.

OH you are allowed by law to receive the debt and company name you owe money to on paper form in the mail. Don't pay anything before getting that and then first call your county's Consumer Credit Protection for advice.

ALSO verizon residential had, might still, have a program that a recording comes on to all blocked calls telling them to unblock to get through to you - they actually have two - one you can set up yourself easy at least if you have verizon for residential.

The other program is one whereby all blocked calls go to a recording tell them to announce their company/personal name in the phone and then it'll ring to you. You hear name and decide answer or not.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• actually bad bill collectors do whatever they want outside the law - I once had a bill collector from out of state come to my house. I wasn't home and they left me a note on my door!!!!

Call / google the federal and also your state's and county's Consumer Credit Protection Agency.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Sounds like a scam or a very untrained collector. Next time use the words attorney general, they'll either hang up or behave. If they know you know what the law says, they should be smart enough to stop breaking the rules.
    Anonymous

• To me it sounds like a scam, as why would they need your bank information and keep pushing for it? Also I think by law they have to divulge who they are, and what company they work for. I agree with the others, look up the laws for your state, and when they call back tell them the call is being recorded and you will be contacting the better business bureau and atty general. I think that might scare them off. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Nobody legit asks for bank info over the phone or email anymore. It was likely a scam. Don't answer blocked numbers (I had that service where they don't even get through if they won't unblock their number).
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I think this was no bill collector. If they wouldn't tell who they were with it was a scam to get your money! You may want to contact local law enforcement to warn others! You'd surprised how many people would have fallen for that!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2010