Piercings: Do you allow them?

Nose, ears, belly button, eye brows, etc?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 12:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ears yes, all others when they are old enough to sign the paperwork themselves... Same with tattoos.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my daughet wants her nose pierced and I don't care...but hubby DOES. She turned 16 in November and he wouldn't let her get it done for her birthday-but she is overweight and he made her a deal that if she loses 20 lbs she can get it done
    trying to reward her for the hard work of losing a little weight.

she has had her ears done 3 times but ended up taking out the last ones-because they weren't healing well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Ears, she'll be able to have done if she wants to when she's 5. And I'll even go in for cartillege piercing when she's in her teens (ears, that is). At age 16 I'll consider eyebrows and nose. She's on her own for any other body piercing. Tattoos she'll have to wait until she's 18, just like I did.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• yes when they are old enough to sign and pay for it themselves at 18!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• not even a belly ring its just as bad as a tramp stamp
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• *daughter not daughet....I'm on a roll with typos today
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• got my dd's ears pierced when she was a few months old (i think they closed up now though) and later on, if she wants other piercings, i'll be fine with it. don't know if my husband will be, but i have no problem with it, seeing as i got my navel pierced when i was 16 and nose done when i was 19
    treehugger823

Answer by treehugger823 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Only ears (for girls only - at birth and maybe 2 or 3 on each ear when they are older) before the age of 18. Anything else, they will have to wait until they are old enough to sign for themselves.

I don't have a daughter but this would be how it is if I did. My son will not be allowed any of this until he is 18.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My kids can have piercings wherever they want once they're fifteen. My son has had snake bites, and we had his tongue pierced for his 17th birthday. My 13 year old is flipping out waiting to turn 15 so she can pierce her lip and eyebrow. My youngest (10) has guaged earrings, but they are small guages. He wants to stretch the damn things but he has to be older. I'm not down with the stretching the ears too much. (If I can stick my finger through the hole, tis guaged too big. I have small fingers.)
    Noga13

Answer by Noga13 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My daughters had their ears pierced whn they were about 12 years old. My son got one ear pierced when he was a freshman in college and his Dad freaked out, told him the earring ade him he look like a loser/hippy type. He took out the earring and never put it back in. LOL. He is a college graduate now and has a great career so he is glad he didn't keep the earring in. My granddaughters have their ears pierced and said they think any other piercings on the face or body look awful and painful. I have to agree. Piercings make me think of masochists who want to inflict pain on themselves and have no interest in being a grown up with a successful life. The only woman I knew with a body piercing ( a tongue piercing ) was a lame brain who lost her job at work because she kept calling in sick and could barely count. Lol.
    Anonymous