School & A baby.....

Everyone knows having to tend to a newborn baby is hard work to say the least, especially when doing it practically alone. So I start college in March and my baby is due to be delivered this week(leaving me about a month in between). EVERYONE is criticizing my decision to go to college four days a week!
Am I wrong? Am I being unrealistic? Setting myself up for disaster?
I just want to hurry up and be able to provide for my daughter on legitimate income and health care. I cant do that with a job as a cashier and the sooner I can do it the better.
Any single full time student moms out there? Anyone been through this before?
Any and all advice is appreciated and feel free to message me, I could use the support!
(posted 2x)

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 12:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not a single mom but I am in school full time. I try to take as many classes online as I can. Most of these allow me to work at my own pace, so if DS is very needy today, I'll wait and work on school tomorrow. I try to do as much as I can while he's napping. I don't blame you for wanting to get through school quickly, but I will say it is quite an adjustment to have a new baby AND school work. Good Luck Momma!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 12:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I do think you can go to school and have a child, however starting in March is probably unrealistic. You are still recovering physically, and newborns are very intense for the first few months, and gradually get less intense. If you are planning on nursing, make sure you are well established before leaving your baby, because that could really hurt your supply. But don't let that discourage you from nursing! Lots of women work and pump, or use formula but nurse whenever they are around baby. Any breastmilk is better then none. Sometimes babies will even start reverse-cycling, meaning that they will nurse at night while co-sleeping, and then not need to nurse while you are away.
    Try taking more classes online, or even wait one year. There is no hurry, but just don't quit.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• All I have to say is good luck!! It's been hard for me to leave my baby after 3 months at home let alone just one. If you can take the courses online do that other wise just do it the best you can.

Congrates on the up coming of your baby!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i am doing that exactly thing but my daughter is not a new born. i quit my job not because of school but because it was just not enough for me to support her so i decided way back in september to look into a career that will be stable and i can go anywhere for a job. its really difficult but its do able. do u have family around to help out? what will u do about daycare when u are at school? my parents help me alot and the baby is still in daycare for right now considering i am looking for a job too. so i am not taking her out yet. it helps to get my school work done considering this is the first week. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010