Kids and gender

I heard something like this was on the Tyra show the other day. Do you think that children can be transgender? Do you think that children as young as 6 realize what they are saying when they say things like "mommy I'm not a boy, I'm really a girl" and it is a male child? Why or why not? What would you do if your child said something like this (no matter their age)?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• i definitely think its possible...And i pray im never in that situation...but if you are, you try to work through it, and maybe get the child some help and better understand the situation. I wouldnt try to force anything on the child, maybe try to make him or her more comfy in their own skin....thats really hard though..i dont think anyone is ever ready to deal with their little boy wanting to be a little girl, or whatever the case!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't know I mean when I was little I didn't like to dress up and wear girl clothes and I had short hair like a boys but my parents just said I was a tomboy and moved on with their lives. I mean I played with trucks and all sorts of boy stuff but the thing is I was little and I grew out of it, I think those women were really just making a big deal out of it. Your little boy wants to play baby dolls and have long hair, go ahead if it's a phase so be it and if it's not there's no point in fighting it. I don't know it's an issue that would take a lot of consideration but I really don't believe that children at 6 and 7 can truly know if they are transgender and that they may just feel pressure now to continue down that road because they had to fight SO hard to expirement.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I haven't met anyone like this to really talk to them about it. So I cannot say. Now, if a 5 year old came to me saying that, I'd think htey just heard soemthing at school or missunderstood something. But a 15 year old, they understand their body, feelings, and the world much better so would be more inclided to listen. Although, I would inquire and talk to them at any age and try not to make them feel there is anything wrong with the thoughts. Just try to get it out in the open.
    Anonymous

• Being transgender is a terrifying experience, feeling trapped in the wrong body must be a teribly thing. There are children that feel it very young but don't really understand it. That would be very difficult as a parent to deal with, but I would find a way.

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2010