School and a baby

Everyone knows having to tend to a newborn baby is hard work to say the least, especially when doing it practically alone. So I start college in March and my baby is due to be delivered this week(leaving me about a month in between). EVERYONE is criticizing my decision to go to college four days a week!
Am I wrong? Am I being unrealistic? Setting myself up for disaster?
I just want to hurry up and be able to provide for my daughter on legitimate income and health care. I cant do that with a job as a cashier and the sooner I can do it the better.
Any single full time student moms out there? Anyone been through this before?
Any and all advice is appreciated and feel free to message me, I could use the support!
(posted 2x)

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 12:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's an awful lot to take on. What are you going to do on days when the baby is sick and you need to be with it and you have a test that day, too? What are you going to do if your sitter has to bail on you and you have a class you feel you can't miss? I was married and had my husband to help me, and it was still very, very difficult to do, and I only lacked a little being finished. We promised my dad when he signed for us to get married that I would finish school, and we felt we had to honor our word to him, or I would never have done it. We hadn't counted on having a baby, of course, at the time we made our promise to him. I don't recommend it at all. Your heart will always be torn between the needs of your baby and the need to attend classes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I think at first it will be a lot to take on. Taking care of a baby/child is a lot more work than most people would think. Maybe wait to start the next quarter. You'll be extremely exhausted, and maybe not even healed yet before classes start.
    Anonymous

• I worked 30 hours a week, took 16 hours online...and had a new born...now im expecting again..and still have the same schedule pretty much..its REALLY hard...try to see if you can complete some time online instead of going to class every day!!! Online classes are not for everyone though!! Its tough but possible!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have kids who've been and are in college and upcoming. For one of my kids distant learning was the best way. Sometimes those tests have to be taken on campus. Maybe try a class or two in that and two other classes on campus - cost is same. What kind of childcare for sickcare do you have? With distant learning there a full weeks notice at least of coming quizzes and tests for my daughter, and the test can be done anytime in that timeframe any day no matter if test is on campus or online.

Backup childcare in case of sickness would be so important - will a daycare take a baby as young as yours? Congratulations - I've been a wife to a college student through two of his degrees with two kids while he studied. College and parenting is hard!!

You seem so focused- the reality is just that little ones do get suddenly sick and sick from sick kids in daycare. BUT tons of moms go back to work after maternity leave and do GREAT!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Are you doing on line classes or will you be attending a regular brick & mortar college? Can you take any of these classes on line? I think you can do it but don't know how much you'll really get out of it or be able to put into it. Kudos for trying to better your & your baby's life, an education will afford you many more opportunities in life. Make sure you have a good support system in place, as pp's have said backup child care is essential but so is someone you can call @ 11 pm when you just can't take it anymore & you need help w/ the baby. There's gonna be times where the baby's sick & doesn't wanna sleep & you have a huge test or paper the next day, plan for these times & the rest will be a breeze comparatively. Remind yourself why you're doing this when the times get hard & they will. If you want to you can do anything.

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• College is hard, too. You don't want to graduate with poor grades or pay for dropped and failed classes. Try going part time or distance learning part time. You are going to be missing sleep with a newborn and it makes it even harder to concentrate.
    Anonymous

• its a lot, but with only one child it CAN be done! I'm in school full time (online which sometimes is more demanding than on campus classes IMO!) with an 18 month old and one on the way in March. I took 8 weeks off after this session is over (2 days after my due date) and then I'll be back at it! It will be difficult, but if you have faith in yourself then you can do anything. Having a babysitter for a little while each day when your not actually AT SCHOOL can be helpful to let you have time to do homework and stuff.. especially in those first few months when you won't be getting much sleep and finding the time to do anything other than take care of the baby is hard. Good luck, I applaud your effort!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I do believe online classes are MUCH harder than in campus classes. I cant believe that people would think otherwise. I specifically chose to take classes in person. I know people who have chosen to take classes online and failed miserably before dropping them for in person classes. They are way more demanding because you have to do all the work yourself, not to mention with the distractions of a crying baby beside you..
    My biggest concern is sleep deprivation and breastfeeding... but I bought a dual pump. As for child care, I do have a very supportive family who I can depend on for at least about a year. Once she is a year old, my school has a child care center so I will be able to take her with. On days where she is sick, she has her grandmother or her dad to tend to her. School is not only for my benefit but for hers as well.
    Im glad to see that the major concerns of others are not my personal concerns.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 8:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010