I'm 43, 2 children, married for 14 years, what's best birth control for us? permanent or temp solution

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Health

• At 43, isn't that increased or high risk category?   Only for smokers.

Personally, I think a vasectomy is the way to go.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Mirena IUD. It lasts up to 5 years..has a 98.9% protection rate..it's rare you get pregnant while u have it. and you can take it out when and if u ever wanna have another baby :)
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 12:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• At 43, isn't that increased or high risk category? Personally, I would opt for getting your tubes tied. I got mine done after I had my son...one day after, to be precise. I was 28 years old when I had him, and he was my second child(DF's sixth...he has a total of eight kids...HE'S the one who should have gotten his tubes tied!!! LOL!)
    Anonymous

• Well, each person is different so what works for one person may not be right for you. Try talking to your doctor about what is available ans see what he suggests and what you feel is best for your lifestyle. That being said, what works really great for me is the depo shot. I get a shot every three months and I don't have a period anymore. It works well for me because I tend to forget to take pills.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Once we were sure we were done, Dh got a vasectomy.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Essure!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• got elastics on my tubes are regretted it from day one- no so much that I wanted to get pregnant, but that I've had so many problems since then. pain, extra bleeding, you name it!
    but I always liked the diaphragm before that- no hormones!
    Anonymous

• Research all your options. I'm 37 and having my 4th and final child.
    I don't like any of the hormonal options. They don't sit well with me.
    I've read unpleasant things about having your tubes tied, and it's major surgery.
    I was looking into Essure, but they only have 5 years worth of data.

So right now I'm looking at getting a copper IUD (Paraguard, no hormones).

How does ParaGard® work?
    Ideas about how ParaGard® works include preventing sperm from reaching the egg and preventing the egg from attaching (implanting) in the uterus. ParaGard® does not alter your body's natural menstrual cycle.
    Anonymous