Is it selfish to want children?

So the other night I was talking to a friend about having more children. He called me a selfish person to want to bring a child into this world with how evil it is. I dont agree Im a selfish person. I love babies,kids etc. I have a 3 year old now and want to make him a big brother..So am I a selfish person for wanting more children or is he wrong?

LovingZachary09

Asked by LovingZachary09 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• No you are not selfish.
    Anonymous

• No you are not being selfish. The world has had all kinds of problems through the years. No one stopped having kids because of that.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 1:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No. I can think of a number of selfish reasons to have kids, but because of "how evil the world is" is NOT one of them. I tend to follow the "people are gernally good" mentality. Just becuase the news spreads faster, doesn't mean the world is worse than it was 50 years or 1,000 years ago. Not does it mean that it cannot be changed. You could argue that it's selffish NOT to have kids becuase what if the child you were going to have was the next Rosa Parks and would have started the next big movement to make the world a better place?

Anonymous

• It depends on why you want them. If you want them just to satisfy some inner longing of yourself, then yes it would be selfish. If you want them because you think you are capable of raising them to be good citizens, who will give of themselves to the betterment of our world, then that is not at all selfish.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• no... if you are capable and able to raise a well rounded child, you are certainly not being selfish. however, if you don't work (not talking sahm), are on welfare AND already have kids, i might change my answer...

maybe you should think about adopting?
    Anonymous

• Like so many things it's all about point of view. There are so many angles to look at things from. there are no wrong angles. I mean he is right the world has gone to crap. Bringing more children into this miserable time sounds awful from that 'negative' angle. Another angle in the same vein is 'The world has gone to crap but I can take a child and mold him or her into something that can benefit us as a whole. I can raise a child to learn to cope and renew and make changes in the future' Neither you nor your friend are selfish or wrong. You are just being human and looking at things in your own personal way. Kind of a half full or half empty thing.
    Anonymous

• IMO- its selfish to NOT want children..
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No, children are blessings from God. Yes the world is evil so please give us another blessing! :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• well people can see alot of things as selfish. is it selfish to work and make money? is it selfish to want a roof over your head? is it selfish to eat when others cant? i guess people can call alot of things selfish right?

but arent we supposed to live a happy life? And isnt having more children going to make your life happier?

Anonymous

• In general, yes. WE love them and enjoy them. We have children for ourselves, to make our own lives happier and more complete. Being good parents isn't selfish, but sure, we have kids because it makes us happy. That's not a bad thing. Some of us wouldn't be complete without our children.
    Anonymous