Does this seem fair to you?

I live two hours away from my entire family. And every month I make the effort to drive down and see them, but whenever I invite them up to see me they complain about the drive. Like it's too much for them to come see me or they just don't want to make the freakin effort. It makes me feel like I'm not worth it to them. I mean, willing to drive two hours to see THEM with my daughter and I'm pregnant, and in very cramped spaces and yet they, who have newer, more spacious cars, and no children, have the gull to complain about the fucking drive to see me?
Is this bullshit or what? And what should I do about it?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd probably feel the same as you, but not everyone sees it that way. When my husband's sister asked us to go to her house for Thanksgiving my husband said no; he feels that the people who move away are the ones responsible for travelling; she lives 11 or 12 hours away and does not have room for all of us to stay with her. To some degree I do agree with him, especially when a large amount of family lives in one area and there would not be room for everyone at the out-of-town/out-of-state relative's house.

If I were you I'd probably make the effort to travel less frequently and just let them know they have an open invitation when they miss you and want to come for a visit.
    Anonymous

• total bs
    EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 1:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Honestly, my parents would probably do the same thing and yes it hurts, I'm sorry. It seems like I've always taken the relationship to heart and made the effort..one time just to prove a point to my sis I didn't call my mom when I was in collage just to see if shed call me, it took 6 months for her to pick up the phone. it really hurt, I'm not pregnant with my son and moving away a few states to my fiancees state from them scares me, for my baby and how he may not know them that well. I'm sorry you're dealing with this
    Anonymous

• Pregnancy hormones talking. In the real world nothing is fair. Here is the thing--understand that people have different priorities. I am guessing your talking about your parents? They are older and are slowing down a bit.
    What to do about it? Well don't go down. Simple as that. If they ask you why you haven't come down say oh you know it is a lot of work hauling this preggo body around. Don't expect them to say "oh okay honey we will be right up".. That won't happen.
    I live far from my parents and they never come to see me, I moved here and they moved farther away. It happened. OH kay I miss them, I make the effort. Sometimes you just have to forgive your family for being them selves and move on with life.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010