I can't make it into work... An excuse of not?

After having spent the last day and a half at work because no one could make it in, I have to ask, as a boss... Is this a legitimate excuse of not? I live outside of town, I listened to the news, packed my bags, lined up a place to stay (just in case), took the dog to be boarded and went into work. I worked the whole day by myself.. thankfully someone showed up to work today. But, my point is, as a boss, why should I not favor this person who showed up. Some people lived a block or two away. Yes, I may fire them... WHY NOT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Some people just dont' value there job, it frustrates me when people make up stupid excuses don't come to work and you have to pick up all the slack for them. I don't ever call in sick unless I'm really really sick and I go to work rain, shine or snow.

What else really gets me is when people at work don't do there job cuz they are either talking on the phone taking a smoke break every 15-30 minutes or playing on the computer, then everyone else falls behind and ends up doing there job on top of there own, I'm sick of these half wit lazy as people that don't value there jobs EXPECIALLY in this economy UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't see how they couldn't make it in if they only live a block away. I live in Canada and we have to work in all sort of weather. I live 30 minutes away from my station and there are a lot of mornings that I head in for shift before the snowplows even get to clearing the roads from overnight storms. I always make it to work...I don't have a choice!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The bottom line is that people get a certain amount of personal/sick days, right? They can choose to use them however they feel is right. In my office, it doesn't matter your excuse, you don't really owe them one. But you only get 5 days like that a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It is your call. You are the boss. However, with that attitude, I would not want to be your employee. If it was one person that was always calling in sick or saying that they can't make it in, fine. But in bad weather, where the roads aren't cleared, and when the schools are closed, and someone calls and says that they can't make it, IMO that is fine. You aren't paying them when they aren't working.

Since you are the boss, and no doubt making more money, I would expect that you would come to work when others wouldn't. You have both more to gain and more to lose.

It has been my experience that bosses like you pay their employees minimally, and expect them to have the same dedication as you do. Not happening.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Your call; if I had employees I would probably react the same way. The shop I work out of is in town, I am 15 out. The only times I call in are if the roads are literally unsafe and the trucks haven't been by. If we still lived in town, I would call in a lot less. BTW, I am not an employee, I work out of a shop as a subcontractor, but if I called in too many times for no good reason, I would expect to be asked to leave. If a person had such low commitment to making sure the business that pays their checks is open to generate income, they need to find a job they can get behind, not one that just pays the bills.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010