Mom who are now weekly or near weekly Church or Temple attendees, how were you with services when you were a child?

My parents in church services always did the Peace Handshake and Prayers for all of mankind in hardship on any level and knew the prayers well and supported their church. They didn't practice then what I thought was a great part of teachings of God. That was not looking down on others for life because of hardships in their lives. I'm not talking about bringing home necessarily homeless, but they in my eyes ignored what I pulled from sermons to be compassionate and many times befriend people inspite of their hardships many times. My kids were taught compassion and are.

That prejudice for lack of another word of my parents to be nice to my best friend &her very nice parents on the 'wrong' side of the tracks and dislike of my intermixed married friends in my adulthood all that has led me from her particular beliefs. What were you taught by your families in Church or Temple and how did you do you deal with religion now as a mom?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 1:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like your parents were not living the messages being delivered in your church - -I'm sorry!!
    My church was rather conservative growing up (as is the one I attend now - different state), however I don't recall ever running into the kind of prejudice you're describing. I was always encouraged to be welcoming and friendly - no matter who they were or where they came from. That's how I met a couple of my best friends in high school - they were sitting alone at lunch and we invited them to join us. Their parents and my parents were never friends, as my mom didn't care for their lifestyle (a lot of drinking, swearing, and general disorder), but she loved those girls like they were her own.
    Now, as a mom, I continue to attend church with my children and teach them about God, Jesus, and the importance of faith. My church family is an extension of my "real" family and has a blessing to us.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I was raised with the believe that there is nothing more important than Tikkun Olam - repair the world. This concept is a large part of our daily lives.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010