Since we are on the subject of clothes, when did you stop....

Letting your daughter wear a two piece swim suit?
My oldest just turned 4 and my youngest is going to be 3 in July.
We have our own pool but I want them to have a one piece for when company comes over or we go to a public pool, my husband thought that was odd. At what age did you switch your daughter from a 2 piece to a one piece?

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 2:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My parents rule was that I could have 2 piece "when you can handle the attention that comes with it" - so I was 15. I will probably have the same rule for my daughter. I have always like the look of 2 pieces better because I have a very short body and find them much more comfortable for me - the only one pieces that fit me in length are very high priced brands, because I have to get a special "short" length suit.
    My daughter had 2 pieces when she was young, but she'll be 9 this summer and we'll be going to one piece suits only.

Answer by missanc at 4:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my youngest her first swim suit was a one piece, but last summer she had a 2 piece and this summer I will probably still get her a 2 piece she just turned 2 my oldest her first swim suit was at 8 weeks it was a 2 piece and she is going to be 5 in April and has always had a 2 piece baithing suit. I will let her have one until she decides to cover up. Although I never wore a one piece I always wore a 2 piece although now since I have stretch marks really bad since having kids I wear it is still a 2 piece, but it is like the top is a tang top so it don't show much of my stomach.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• always been a one piece for us
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• In our family you can buy a bikini when you move out and start paying your own bills. I will buy them a two piece tankini style at any age if it isn't too skimpy - my girls are very long-bodied, and one piece styles don't seem to fit them right.
    Anonymous

• I bet your husband will change his mind when the girls get closer to puberty.
    Anonymous

• its a one piece for us up until she tells me she wants a 2 piece and can pick out one that doesn't make me want to gag. I can't be a total hypocrite and not let her EVER wear one because I"ve worn nothing but bikinis since I was about 10.. But I don't like the way they look on little kids so its kinda the other way around here.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Anon. 1:13 that is the problem I have with my oldest she is like me long bodied and it is hard to find a one piece, I just do not want her wearing a bikini in public now, I feel for babies and up to two years old that is fine but once they hit 4 my opinion is that my girls need to be covered.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• two piece tankini with no belly showing? that all she has ever had. Two piece bikini? Not until she is old enough to drive herself to the store and buy it with her own money. So 16 at the earliest and even then it will need to actually fit, as in covering the whole breasts and rear and at least 3-4 inches over the sides of the hips. When she moves out she can buy whatever she wants.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• since she was like 8 months old so her first summer its not like shes its kind of hypricital on my part if I make her wear a one piece since I've always wore a 2 piece
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I will always let my daughter wear a 2 piece. I think they look cute! I always wore one too. I see nothing wrong with it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010