5 month old kitten

How much should i be feeding a 5 month old kitten. Her dry food bag says 3-5 pound cats should eat 1/4-1/2 cup a day. But she wants to eat more then that. She eats more like 1/2 cup a day plus a little canned food (not the whole can. i divide into thirds) and she still wants more. I don't think she has a worm or anything. She's growing right and doesn't lick her butt too much or anything (which i believe is a sign of worms).

...So, i just don't want to overfeed her. But i don't want to deprive her either. Suggestions?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I have 4 cats and I leave hard food for them always and give them a half of a can of soft food each a day... kittens should be fed double a full grown cat. It will tell u on a can how much to give them for their age... if u buy the small cans they should have one a day if u buy the bigger ones its a third of the can.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 6:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It may be that she's not absorbing enough of the food on its way through, so she's still hungry when she's had 'enough' according to the package.

Generally, cats are fed by dropping a lot of food into a bowl and leaving it there. If you want to give her soft food, be aware that it's less filling than dry food, and may be eaten in its entirety because it's there, not because she needs that much food.

Try only feeding soft food once a day (the same amount you're giving her at one time now) and see if she's really eating more than the package says... or if she's leaving the kibbles in favour of the easier-to-eat 'treat' food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• you should never just drop a bunch of food in the bowl and leave it- that can cause obesity in cats.
    http://www.catchow.com/catcarecenter_nutritional3.aspx?storyID=61&category=3
    here is a website that can help
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I only give her the wet food once a day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would honestly say at 5 months only she could have free choice feeding, I do agree with lovelyli217 that it can cause obesity BUT in a growing kitten I wouldn't worry about it that much. I would free feed her for a few months and then try to start meal feeding. As long as she isn't getting chubby then she would be fine. I free fed my cats till they are 1 as long as they aren't gettting fat and other then that all my animals get fed once a day (all measured to maintain a good weight) You can also pick up some dewormer from a local vet for a few dollars. Ask for strongid and they can sell it over the counter just to be sure. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• our cat has a half cup in the morning and half cup later in evening. our dog has a whole cup early and a cup later
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• She's probably in a growth spurt.. let her eat what she wants and if she starts gaining to much weight you'll know to cut back
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2010