Why is there such a big misunderstanding of what it means to be Green?

Okay. so i kind of understand why people are misled. The media and everything ...
But you don't have to buy a ton of green products to be green. You don't even have to buy organic to be green.
Use vinegar, baking soda and maybe a little essential oil for your cleaning products and your green. No brand names. and it's cheap!
Buy local foods. in most cases it's cheaper because your not paying for the cost of the gas to ship it and your helping out your local economy. That's GREEN.
Unplugging appliances when they are not in use does not require you to buy anything but it WILL save you money on your electric bill.

I've looked into some green products once. I was gonna sell them from home ...but when i looked into it a bit further i realized that everything they were selling had a better, cheaper greener alternative.
So are the green products a scam? probably. But GOING GREEN is not.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Right! The word has taken on a pejorative meaning. It is really not to the benefit of manufacturers to actually BE green, it just cuts into their profits, but an individual can make a huge difference just by doing things like turning down your heat, conserving gas and water, avoiding packaging, reusing, whatever.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Green is a color. "going green" and "green living" are twisting what it means, so why get upset because someone else's fake definition disagrees with your own fake definiton?
    Anonymous

• Because without shouting, exclamation marks, moral outrage and a cult-like following, the organizations and individuals who make millions off the Green Labels wouldn't make a dime.

As it is, I think their biggest mistake is the little white lies --like 'buying this product will help the environment'-- because they get hooked on those, think they're 'normal', and then step further and further away from the truth until they're telling great big whoppers of lies, like 'people are not a natural part of the environment' and other nonsense. It is not a stretch, from where the lies are currently being told, to the next idea that'll catch on: it's genocide to even attempt to kill off viruses and bacteria that threaten people, crops or livestock. H1N1 deserves to live, too...

But you're right: living Green is the cheapest choice, and doesn't need a label of any kind...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• When normal people see a sudden movement to do / buy / live / act a certain way, and they see the people who are pushing it NOT doing what they are trying to sell to the masses, it makes people step back and think different. In this case, most people have no problem living as you suggest, it's just that when Al Gore and all the celebs start preaching about it, and not living it themselves, the whole movement is seen as a scam, and that turns people away from it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Ok, that may be your definition of going green, but the government doesn't use that as their definition. Their going green involves money - big money. They want you to buy new cars, new heat systems, new windows, new insulation, new toilets, new ............you name something. And, the "sustainable wood" we are all suppose to use, well that means the timber company filled out some forms. (I know, my husband is a purcurment forester with G-P). It doesn't mean crap. The organic means that the land hasn't had fertilizer on it for 4 years. All food is organic. It is all advertising hype.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I just try to live my life using as little resources as possible, as little plastic and disposable things (paper towels, baby wipes, disposable diapers, paper plates, etc) as possible, and clean up litter wherever I see it. I don't drive a lot of places, use public transportation, and hang stuff up to dry. My 16 month old picks empty soda bottles on the street and puts them in the recycle bin. I try to live as green as I can without spending oodles of money on stupid crap. But if someone else's definition of "green living" is different than mine, so be it. Freedom first. If someone wants to spend 35 bucks on a special hemp organic free trade cloth diaper or $19.99 for a small bottle of all natural green window cleaner, that's their freedom to do so.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Sofia- using as few resources as possible- simply stated and ITA-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010