Is it safer to hide?

When it comes to raising our children of this newer generation, it seems that many children are more sheltered than in the past... Now this could be just me, but when it comes to lifes everyday drama, including but not exclusive too... religions, educations, world news, politics, etc... ppl are making more light of it... or infact brushing it aside with mudane answers...I have many around me IRL that do this... and these same ppl get upset bc my grandson knows more facts behind it...( he is 9)

My question is ...
Do you raise your child(ren) behind a screen/veil? Do you allow your child(ren) the truth of the world around them and all over..(depending on their age of course)?
Do you feel it is more benifical to not allow our children to see what is going on around them?

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 2:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• To answer my own ?...
    We do not hide our grandson behind a veil... we will always now and then will tell him the truth of a question asked...
    He sees the news, the bad, the good and the indifference... his friends discuss religions in class (public school too), they tell him and others that they are in the wrong for not believing their way...
    The world has many, many things going on... and hiding a child (to us at least) from it... wither it's good, bad or indifferent is wrong...
    We DO NOT point things out to him... EVER... it is up to HIM to come to use with his ?s' about what he hears/learns/reads...
    We want him to know that WE are ALL different. That WE ALL think, believe and do things different and that to us it may seem weird/wrong/right, to others it's the reverse...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't hyde anything from my kids, they need to learn now that life isn't rainbows and butterflies. I want them to know that nothing comes on a silver platter you have to earn everything and work hard for it and it still can be all taken oway from you in a blink of an eye ,due to bad economy and everything else that is going on right know, I also tell them that if they keep there faith in God and pray to him he always looks after his children and helps them in hard times.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• WE have CNN on all day so they get a view of the world according to CNN. I am not sure what you mean by veil but no our kids don't wear veils either.
    Anonymous

• I think there are age appropriate topics and age appropriate explinations of life's situations and happenings...
    I don't believe in lying because they'll figure it out eventually.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Sandypops...>>>I think there are age appropriate topics and age appropriate explinations of life's situations and happenings...

I agree with you here... they do find out sooner or later the truth...

Just an FYI ... I respect all beliefs or those without... I myself am a Wiccan... my dh is a Christian... so our grandson gets NO 'one' type of beliefs as fact given to him and we feel that doing the same with the world around us was better than candy coating it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• We never hid anything from out kids--whenever they had questions, we answered them. We talked about everything. We did, though, limit the input of inappropriate material (on the Jim Henson plan: where's there any evidence that adults can handle this material?) by limiting the channels available (no sports, music video or news channels appear on our 'list' of what the remote will scan through).

I don't think it's realistic to think that it's possible to restrict any child's life (while doing normal things like visiting with friends or going to the grocery store) so they never encounter anything challenging--and I don't think it's worth the effort, even if it's achieved. Everyone gets to deal with things they aren't ready for, that's what coping is.

I felt that it was my job to be there for my kids, to help them understand whatever they were encountering, not to stop them from encountering it
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I dont hide but I dont listen to world events much either. I know the basics of what is going on and thats about it.
    My sons are too young to really care and if my oldest has a question he will ask and Ill answer.

Im not purposelly sheltering them from the world cuz I know they'll see it soon enough, I just dont go out of my way to expose them to everything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My children are young, both under three. But I say this, my children will NOT be raised in ignorance or behind a veil. They will not be sheltered from what's going on in the world because someday they are going to have to face it anyway so why not help them? This goes with any subject imho. I want my children to think for themselves cause well it's hard enough for me to think for myself let alone two more people and 'm not always going to be here. Also I have a very strong stance agisnt the "Because I said so" kind of raising. Because I said so is not really a valid reason to listen to anyone hahaha. I was raised ths way and never questioned m y religion until recently I never really thought for myself. Now I am questioning everything, including what I was told the bible says. I want my children to question, and to understand the why on things.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Anon>>>WE have CNN on all day so they get a view of the world according to CNN. I am not sure what you mean by veil but no our kids don't wear veils either.

We do not doTV at all... NO Cable, NO local hook up... our grandson has his own pc... he sees the headlines... and if he feels he needs to he will ask about it...
    As for the (veil) I was referring to hiding, covering up your child(ren) of all the world around them...

There are many around here (where I live) that will not allow their children to know anything of the real world around them... that their answers are ( and this is no bs) 'don't worry about it" , "It doesn't concern you or us" "God did this for a reason and if we need to know why He will tell us why", "Don't worry they just blow it up to make others feel sorry for them" etc... I have hundreds of them that I have heard...

I personally don't think that this is right to do...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• you can't hide from the world unless you are amish, or something like that. there will always be politics, drama, other religions, lies, corruption, etc. you just teach your child what is right and wrong, how to react to situations, etc etc. this is why we have yearsssss to raise our children... we have to teach them. i mean, your child has to ultimately choose their own life and i feel bad for those children who are holed up and psycho-religious homes, or totally homeschooled, no social activity, etc. that isn't reality. of course their are age appropriate things, and you tackles things as they come.
    and there are things you may not want your child to do.. lots of video games, or junk food, or eat organic, etc... but there are so many distinctions and such... you just have to try to train your child and hope they make good choices and are good influences as well.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2010