• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strange black residue...help!

ugh so i'm starting to FREAK out. My house is extremely clean so my mind is just boggled right now!! This past week i've noticed a light black powdery coating on a lot of white surfaces in the house, it is most noticable on white plastic things. First it was on my daughters toy changing table in her room which is white, then somewhere else but I can't remember and now I just found it on my son's bottle caps which are in the cupboard. I just started using candles probably every day now for the past month...I decided to google this problem i'm having and found either it may be from the candles or MOLD. I don't think it's the candles bc I don't put candles in my daughter/son's room (where I first found it) AND then my sons bottles are in a closed cupboard. ughh I pray it's not mold : ( IDK who to even call for help with this? Anyone ever deal with this??? Thanks in advance!!

Answer Question
 
MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 2:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 6 (144 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Sounds like mold. Best to have your house checked out by a professional.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • A certified mold inspector can help you.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • do you have central air and heat? It is possible that the filter needs to be changed. If a filter gets too bad dirt will get in the system and be blown around your house.

    candles do leave a black residue but I have never seent hat residue end up in areas other then where the candle is burning.
    3_ring_circus_

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • We had this on surfaces when we lived near a coal-fired power plant in Nova Scotia.

    It's not mold, which would be damp, not powdery. It could be tire particles and traffic smog --from the streets outside your home, if you keep windows open.

    It could be carbon from the candles, yes, even in closed cupboards, as it lays in the air for a long time, and when you open the cupboard you exchange that air with the air outside. To see if it's soot, wet your finger and then touch it, then smear a page with it. Soot makes marks.

    Maybe a faulty chimney/furnace, if you burn oil for heat. Or a fireplace that's not drawing properly.

    It may be toner, from a laser printer (if you have one). The interesting smell they generate while working is toner getting into the air in small quantities. Toner is not water-soluable, so it wouldn't 'draw' the same way as soot.

    It could also be soot from a local fire or recent volcano activity.
    LindaClement

    Answer by LindaClement at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • I would say roach poo.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • ok im sorry but linda, all of those sound absolutely ridiculous esp toner lol

    im guessing before you jump to any conclusions MAKE SURE ITS NOT MOLD!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

  • We had an oil furnace and it back fired, it left a black residue on everything after. If you have an oil furnace you may want to have it checked...
    MrsLeftlane

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.