he's not your Daddy!

Me and my husband were arguing one day and out of total frustration and anger I said, " he is not your daddy his name is Matt!" i said this to my son from a previous marriage. My husband has not let me ever live this down. I was angry like I said and it was said two years ago. I can not say I'm sorry enough. I know I shoudn't of said it in the first place but how can I correct it.

tucsonmomof2

Asked by tucsonmomof2 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• most of all, i'd be worried about how you effected your child. your husband is his dad if he's the one who raised him and he's grown up to believe and feel tha he is dad. i'd be asking your husband how you can make it up to him, or what would make it right. but you can't take back words. he can forgive you, but that doesn't mean he'll ever forget.
    Anonymous

• oh harsh. wow i dont know what i would do.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 3:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• well, from past experience I wouldn't keep the paternity situation a secret from your son forever. . most likely he'd find out one way or another.
    But as far as your husband goes, you can't make him forgive you. If he mentions it, then I would just tell him something like 'there's nothing more I can do, so I won't discuss it, but I'm sorry that I hurt you. '
    you can show that your care about his feelings without getting into a fight.
    If he's really still bothered by it, then maybe he can talk to someone. But I doubt if there's much you can do to correct the situation. I'm sure he's said things to you that are hard to forget too-
    this ones a tough one.
    Anonymous

• How old is your son? How did an argument with your dh result in saying hurtful words to your son? I'm lost. Who did you apologize to, the son or dh? What exactly did you say you were sorry for? These are not questions you need to answer to me but to yourself. I am so sorry you got so angry and lashed out at a child. I'm not even sure I know how you can undo the damage and the hurt the child felt. Maybe that's why dh won't let it go. Maybe he sees the damage that has been done. Perhaps family counseling would help. Just make sure son is not still reeling from that shocker.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010