Vanity

Ok so the bible says to basically not be vain. Am I wrong? If I am then please disregard this question but if not please answer me this. Why do christian women *in general* shave? Their armpits legs and other places. It's a natural part of our bodies and if it wasn't supposed to be there God wouldn't have put it there.

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Social conformity, same reason most of them are Christians in the first place.
    Anonymous

• the hair on your body is to keep your body warm. but it does harbor odor...lol so I shave because it feels cleaner (no scratch hair) and because I smell a lot better. I admit though, that I have gone without shaving...and at times I just don't the time to do so....but I prefer to....
    I believe a lot of people do it out of insecurity as well.
    Vanity is your attitude to. If it becomes priority over important things such as kids etc then it's a problem. I don't think it is a sin to take care of yourself, and to clean your body to maintain your odor.
    Anonymous

• Biblically its talking about attitude.

Back in the earlier days the diet was different , we now have so many toxins within our body it produces odor and such do to the diet we have at present.. I doubt back then woman shaved but now they do for their own personal reasons.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• honestly? i think it looks icky to wear a skirt and have man legs or to wear a tank to or sleeveless shirt and a bush under your arms. I never considered myself vain, but i like to be presentable.
    Anonymous

• There is a huge difference between being vain and looking nice. Taking care of yourself is not vain, but if it's all that you think about and you spend unreasonable amounts of money to look good then it vanity.

1 Peter 3:3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

It says that your true beauty should come from within, but it does't say NOT to braid your hair, wear jewelry or fine clothes. It's about attitude and focus, the focus of a Christian woman should be to be beautiful on the inside. A Christian woman should not have only outward beauty. That is the heart of the matter. A lot of Christian women are beautiful on the inside and out, and manage to do both without being vain.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 3:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• in Islam the One True God loves beauty and fills this Earth with beauty and our bodies have rights over us that we should care for it in the proper way and according to God's Prescription. There is a BIG difference between beauty and vanity..shaving, and attending to one's body is a responsibility and a natural inclination for us as humans to do. vanity is showing it off or exceeding the limits of moderation and it is that which is not rec'd nor liked by God.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 3:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I admit that I shave because I don't want bear legs. They look stank in skirts and heels. LOL

I agree with Anon. We should have lot more than just our outer appearance to recommend us.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• vanity is obsession with self and looks... just because you want to look nice isn't being vain---its the obsession and pride that is a problem. oh and anon number 1---seriously? anymore if you want to socially conform you need to be gay, or atheist, or liberal, or something totally politically correct. because APPARENTLY christians are judgmental etc etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I think that, for most Christians, it has to do with feeling comfortable. Exactly why MOST peope (non-christian as well) do it. My mother (christian) did not shave for the longest time, but now she does because it is physically more comfortable for her to.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Agree with the others it's the obsession about our looks that we need to look out for. But I only shave when I am showing off my parts that are hairy, except my hoohah. That gets shaved ALOT. But hair there makes me feel like afreak. My mother didn't tell me hair down there was natural then one day in my teens some starte growing there and I felt freakish, oh yeah sticks with me till this day although I know better.
    Anonymous