is it normal yo have contractions at 18 weeks or should i be worried also is there any way to find out what your having befor you get an ultrasound

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No there is no way of finding out, unless you believe the old wives tales : )
    Some contractions are okay, google braxton hicks. If they are irregular and light then they are normal. If they are steady, strong and increase in strength and frequency it could be a problem, in which case you should call your doctor.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 11:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Hi there, If they are braxton hicks you are probably fine, but I think it is pretty early, I would call the Dr. What my Dr. told me at 26 weeks was to lay down for an hour and if the contractions are still more than 10 an hour then go to the hospital, however, that was for braxton hicks.
    Lisa
    www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 12:55 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Braxton Hicks contractions are totally normal. IF you have any bleeding or bad cramps, go to L&D right away. Nope, no way to tell the sex... you'll have to wait for the ultrasound! Good luck!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2008