how to keep my 20month old from catching head lice

were going to visit my family up north and my sisters kids all have lice. my little girl has a head full of hair. what can i put in her hear to prevent her from catching it?please no rude comments my sister treats her kids hair just that they play with neighber kids and always cach it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the only to keep from getting them is to stay away from people you know have them. hopfully your sister has also treated her house or they keep re infesting the hair. I'd be worried I'd get them not just the kid! My daughter & I got it from my nephews. My sister was just treating their heads & not doing the other stuff you need to do...washing all the bed linens, hats, combs, brushes, stuffed animals & spraying the furniture & the car with lice spray...so my nephews kept getting them back but it wasnt from anybody else it was because they were IN her house.
    Anonymous

• Is her hair long enough to put up in a pony tail? Keeping it up helps. Also spraying it with hairspray can help. And blow drying hair can kill nits, but it's not fool proof. The biggest thing would be to check carefully every day (several times a day) for the next few weeks so if she does get them you can get rid of them right away.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• What about you too. I wouldn't go right now. Her house needs to be treated.
    Anonymous

• If I knew someone had lice... I wouldn't go. Not unless it was some sort of emergency that required my visit. I'd be worried about catching it as well.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Stay away from people and homes with lice.
    Anonymous

• Lice don't like dirty hair, so use lots of product - hairspray, gel, mousse, etc. Don't wash it before going or while there. Maybe take your own pillows or pillowcases, don't use any of their brushes, hair ties, hats. Keep your and her hair tied back in a pony tail or braid. My niece's daycare had lice for a long time, but my niece didn't get it once because of these tips. I've actually heard of people rubbing baby oil in the child's hair, but I think that would be really hard to get out, the greasy feeling. My boys have been warned that I will shave their heads if they bring home lice and so far so good. Oh, and keep your belongings away from theirs, one way my kids school helps prevent the spread of lice is by having all the kids keep their coats, hats, etc in plastic bags or garbage bags instead of hanging next to each other. Good luck!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Just wanted to add, that getting lice isn't the end of the world. It's a pain in the butt, doing all the treatment, nit picking, cleaning. But it's not like catching a disease, it won't make you sick, it's just really inconvenient.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i know i cought lice alot as a child and actalu had my head shaved bold when i was 11 becouse of it.. im the one that posted this question.it is a pain.im not worried about catching it becouse i can die my hair to get rid of it and i wont be going near my sister,but im sure she will want to hold my baby and hug her. i dont want to be mean or make her feel bad about it becouse it is aberasing for her im sure. thanks for all the input u guys.
    Anonymous

• canadianmom1974 "Just wanted to add, that getting lice isn't the end of the world. It's a pain in the butt, doing all the treatment, nit picking, cleaning. But it's not like catching a disease, it won't make you sick, it's just really inconvenient."

I totally agree, getting lice isn't that big of a deal. For me, it would be way more important for my child to spend time with family. I've worked with kids who have lice every day for years and I've never gotten it. It's not as easy to get as people think.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2010