HELP! Everytime I get my 5 week old to sleep and lay him down he wakes up and screams til someone picks him back up! what do I do?

He will be fast asleep and as soon as I put him down he wakes himself back up and screams to be held.. as soon as I pick him back up he is fine! How do I stop this and keep him asleep?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 4:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• roll him over.

my middle kid did that, as soon as I rolled her over she slept like a dream!

(and shut up all you back sleeping nazis you do what you have to do and if it means tummy...then let it be! and don't go all spouty on the SIDS statistics!)

Anonymous

• statistics mean nothing to the individual.

and why not just let him sleep with you? 5 weeks is awful young, and he just needs extra love.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Its not sleeping with me thats the problem its being able to lay him down during the day to get other things done. As soon as I try to lay him down he is freaking out. He sleeps great during the night for the most part.. but during the day is a whole different story
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 4:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Um, don't pick him up. Let him fuss, let him cry, let him scream. If he isn't hungry, wet or in distress, he will be just fine and eventually will learn that he can't be picked up every second.
    Anonymous

• GET A WRAP! you can get things done around the house and he'll be perfectly content up against mommy. had one for my 3rd - wish I had one for the older 2.

my middle daughter had reflux and did the same thing - I put her on her tummy to sleep - and propped up the end of the mattress.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Try holding him longer before laying him down. How about wearing him in a sling so that you can get things done? How about putting him into a swing for naps? I homeschool 2 older kids and wore my current baby in the moby warp, strapped to my front for her naps for the first few months. It was the only way I could teach/spend time with my older two!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• He's scared and in a new world that is cold and drafty. Just be patient with him. He feels safe and secure when you hold him. He'll stop when he gets used to the surroundings.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Get a wrap or a sling. Total lifesaver.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Wear your baby. Cosleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Miracle blanket. Google it. When my preemie came home from the hospital she would NOT SLEEP unless someone was holding her. She wouldn't sleep next to us, she wouldn't sleep alone, she had to sleep with someone's arms around her. And she never slept for more than 30-45 minutes. Then a friend gave me the miracle blanket when she was about 4 months old and the FIRST NIGHT she slept 8 straight hours.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 5:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010