how to stop flat-head syndrome if baby moves his own head?

stopping flat-head syndrome if baby moves his own head?
My baby is 4 weeks old and since day one he has held up his own head for minutes at a time and turns it from side to side on his own.. especially when sleeping. I will put his head on one side when I lay him down and wake up with his head straight down... No matter how many times I adjust or move him he always does this... How do I keep him from getting a flat head if he moves it on his own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's moving his head he's not going to get a flat spot.
    Anonymous

• even if he moves it to where its straight down everytime? He wont sleep with his head to one side only flat
    Anonymous

• Just try to keep him off the back of his head during the day or something soft under it then.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Make sure you give him tummy time when he's awake. He should be fine.
    Anonymous

• If you hold him a lot during the day, don't leave him sitting in a seat or swing etc. his head should be fine. I never alternated positions with my kids heads when they slept. I just laid them on their back to sleep and held them lots during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Rotation prevents flat head so he's taking care of it himself. Just don't keep him sitting in a car seat or lying on his back in one position all day. (or too long of a period of time.)

Answer by admckenzie at 5:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Don't worry about it. The flat head and bald spot will resolve in a few months. Worry about important things, like how to pay for college.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i know with my child we had the same problem and our ped. gave us a perscription for a helmet that helps prevent the head from becoming flat.. it looks silly but its a big help and will help to keep the child from having a flat head.. we only used it at nap and bed time but it worked wonders.
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 6:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my baby is the same way she acutally has a bald spot on the back of her head...im not worried about it it doesnt look flat at this time she likes to be that way every time i move her head to the side she moves it right back...were doing a lot more tummy time during the days im with her that she is not at daycare.
    Anonymous