Epidural??

First I was wondering... Can a woman get an epidural if she has a "tramp stamp" (tattoo on her lower back)? I would also like to hear some personal experiances of people who have had one and the outcome on how the labor and after birth effects on the baby.. I am looking for both aspects on this so please dont feel shy to tell bad stories. If anyone else wants to add anything else on epidurals please fill me in!!! thanks for your time!

ambarnhardt

Asked by ambarnhardt at 4:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your tattoo will not effect your epidural...Anyways I had one about 5 hours into labor. Didnt really hurt considering what I was going through lol. I was numb from the waist down. I could feel when I was having contractions just not the pain. I got it around 11 or 12 at 6 when I pushed my kid out, it was practically out of my system. My baby was perfectly fine, very alert. I didnt have a bad experience with it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i am not anti-enpidural... but i did not have one with either of my children. i went into the hospital both times open to my options depending on the pain i was in. neither time did i think labor/birth was that bad. i had fast easy deliveries so i guess i am lucky. with my first, who weighed 5'13... i did have a drug called stadol. it was great. it just took the edge off things and helped me sleep in between contractions. with my second, who was 7'13... i went completely natural. the decision is up to you. my cousin has 4 children and had an epidural with each. she had no trouble with the epi and swears by it. she also does have a tatoo on her lower back. i am not familiar with tatoos and epidurals though... so i am not positive whether they would cause an issue, but i doubt it. if i were you, i would just go into the hospital with your options open. each birth is different. good luck!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I suppose that dependso on whether you have something that really offends the anesthesiologist! Just kidding. I dont' think a tattoo has any effect on whether you can get an epidural, unless you got it very recently (like the day before), in which case I really don't know. I con't see why not.

I had an epidural which was great. Rita Rudner, a comedienne, once said she found it funny that people take drugs all the time for recreation, yet when it's actually ne eded, people don't. :)

It's completely a personal choice. I don't think a woman who gives birth without drugs is any more heroic or a better mother than one who does. In the end, you're both mothers.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i have a lower back tattoo and it didnt affect anything. i have had 3 epi's . they went great . no problems nothing. i will be getting one with this one
    lizmiller3

Answer by lizmiller3 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had an all natural birth with my son. I don't think I'm more heroic or better in any way than a mother who gets drugs. I just personally have a fear of getting a huge needle in my spine. The idea of them messing up and paralyzing me (which is extremely rare) scares the crap out of me. It is painful but I was expecting 100x worse with what people made it out to be. I also know a few girls who had a really bad headache for about 2 weeks after birth from the epi. Like an above poster said my advise would be to go in with an open mind and see how it goes. Good luck.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 5:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had to have one because after I was induced (which I hadn't wanted but I wasn't contracting after my water broke..) soooo the pain was way worse than natural labor. anyway... i dont think i would have dialated very well or very qucikly without it... i actually fell asleep i was so worn out from the pain. i kept it in through pushing and also while being sewn up from the episiotomy. it didnt hurt going in, they used a numbing thing... and the only problem i had was it came out when i was contracting 3 mins apart and he had to come put it back in in which i had to sit perfectly still for a half hour while contracting... noooot fun. but im glad that i had one after everything that went on with my birth... i needed that bit of sleep lol. i got more sleep than hubby.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have a tat on my lower back and the anesthesiologist did ask when I got it...not sure why he asked exactly as I wasn't in the frame of mind to question. I had one natural birth, one induced with no pain meds and then one induced with an epi. I did not like how I felt after the epi and I really beleive it affected the baby (eating) and made my labor longer...especially when it came to pushing. I preferred being able to feel my body's cues w/o meds...just felt more like what birth was meant to be like.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 5:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Women who get epidurals do not do any research on them (asking a bunch of strangers on a website does not count).

Women who do not get epidurals do lots of research before they make their decision.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• rkoloms I think that your answer comes off as a tad rude as I am asking for personal experiances here. Im not looking for a medical answer. I have looked up alot on labor drugs but heard rumors so i figured id ask. in the future if you want to answer my questions or posts id prefer you to not be rude upon your responce. if u dont have a story as i was asking for or an answer then please DO NOT REPLY!!
    ambarnhardt

Answer by ambarnhardt at 5:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've had two epidurals. One hurt like hell and the other didn't hurt. Both made my labor go much faster. I would do it again.
    Anonymous