My 7 year old had a 24 hour stomach virus the other day and now my 16 month old has it. It has been throwing up sense about 11am today. Anything you give him he throws it up. He has no fever or anything. But, he is very calm so I know he does not feel well.

My questions is do you think I need to take him to the emergency room? I am pretty confident that it will be gone tomorrow as my other son is feeling a lot better. But, my 16 month old is throwing up A LOT more. And he is so little.. I really don't know what they can actually do for him.. Any advice would be great. I am sure there is a mother out there that has been through this several times! Thanks in advance!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try the pediapops you freeze em my kids liked em and it dosed out the liquid slowly
    and chicken broth always helps
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Quit giving him foods and liquid while he is throwing up. You are creating a viscious cycle where he is going to get more deyhdrated.

You need to wait a couple of hours before letting him drink anything. This gives his stomach time to settle. Then only start with small sips or ice chips or pedialyte pops. If he just finished throwing up and then you give him more to drink right away it's just going to make him throw up more !!!

I would wait to give him food only after he was able to tolerate liquids. Then at that only light easy to digest foods. He is not going to die one day without much food. Now liquid wise it's better to get him to stop throwing up first then work on hydrating him. Obviously though do watch for any signs of sever dehydration that would require an ER visit. I know kids can dehydrate much faster than adults.

Anonymous

• I know this sounds weird but when my son had something similar and could not hold anything down the on call nurse had me give him a few tablespoons every 15-20 minutes of Coke....yup COKE. The nurse said something in the Coke settles the stomach and it is critical to get in fluids. If they hold it down after 20 min give 3-4 more Tbs and so on until able to hold fluids then start on toast, crackers etc. If they show any signs of dehydration like listlessness etc I would definatley call the on call Dr.
    Anonymous

• both my younger girls had this too...Just going around. the main thing is try to keep fluids down. pedialite is good if they will drink it! Mine don't...LOL
    Anonymous

• When my oldest was little he caught something that had him throwing up ever 10-20 minutes. He was fine aside from the vomitting. His pedi at the time told me that as long as he kept drinking (even if he threw it back up) that he was good. He told me if he got to the point that he refused to drink I would have to bring him in. That's been about 4 years ago but he did fine.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2010