I think my baby has gas or acid reflux. What can I do to help him?

My 3 week old son has been really fussy the last several days. Sometimes he arches his back, turns bright red, and screams. He is unconsolable when he does this. I don't think he is sleeping good either. I am feeding him breast milk supplemented with neosure. He was also born 7 weeks early.
Would it help to feed him less at a time and more often? I'm afraid to give him anything like gripe water or prune juice without talking to his doctor.

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 5:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keeping him elevated for at least 30 minutes after eating and when he is sleeping (get a sleeping wedge thing) should help. I let my daughter guide me with feedings. She tends to eat very often but only for a few minutes on each breast. You mentioned you did not feel comfortable with gripe water, how do you feel about gas drops? The gas drops won't really help if it is reflux, but can help if it gas. Keeping him elevated may be all you need and if is not too bad his doctor may just see if he grows out of it, if not he may need to be medicated. My daughter has been on Zantac since she was 8 weeks, it helps with the pain but she still spits up a lot. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I also wanted to add, you might want to try cutting out certain foods from your diet. Try cutting out dairy or caffeine for a few days to see if his problem continue.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I am in the same situation but my DS is 6 weeks and was 9 weeks preemie, spent several weeks in the NICU. Has anyone ever used gripe water in a preemie because the Mylicon drops aren't doing anything. I feel so bad for him because I called the on call dr and they said the whole upright for 30 mins deal but when I lay him down afterwards he screams like he did before. calling them in the morning to actually talk to his real dr. Any advice would be helpful.
    amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 2:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2010