Why do people say they can't go to college cuz they can't afford it???

There are so many grants and loans and scholarships available if you know where to look! I do not think it is a viable excuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• if you have bad credit that knocks out loans, if you had bad grades that knocks out scholarships and if your married with a steady income you can't qualify for grants.
    that's how people say they can't afford it....costs of community colleges are outrageous. Alone this semester for school I spent OVER $2400 for tuition, books, supplies etc. Not everyone has that kind of money just laying around.
    Anonymous

• Because some people don't qualify for any type of financial support and also can't get help through scholarships. Not everyone wants to take out loans to help pay for their schooling. I'm in this situation right now. I'm working extra shifts at work because I refuse to take out a loan and would much rather pay for my schooling as I go along. Not everyone has the option I have. I have a very supportive husband and my dad helps to watch my kids when my daycare is closed. College is expensive. While some people just like to make up excuses, there are plenty of people who can't get grants, loans or scholarships and so it really is because they can't afford it.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 6:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Why do people use the word Cuz ?

It makes it worse that the post is about College.
    Anonymous

• because those aides are hard to find and not everyone qualifies....everyone tells me there are grants out there for single moms, I would like someone to SHOW me 1 besides the pell...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• GA has the Hope Grant and it pays for everything but books. If you don't have the grades for it then you are getting into college anyways. I went to school on it and my husband is going on his GI Bill.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• what if the persons grades arent high enough for a scholarship or they dont qualify for a grant/loan....i would almost rather not go to school then to take a loan out...your already in debt when u graduate and for some its not as easy to make those payments on top of other bills.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Good for you, want a cookie?

When I was 18 I was working 2 jobs and going to college. It would have been too expensive to quit and go after getting a promotion the hours were too much so I left school.

Not everyone has parents that can give them a free home while they are in school
    Anonymous

• Maybe you have to work 50 hour weeks while taking care of your baby by yourself and you can't afford to miss work to attend classes which cost you money.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would love to go back to school and get some training in something useful. I already have a BA, so I don't qualify for a Pell, or for enough other grants to bring down the cost. I can't take out a loan, because having been out of work for 2 yrs, my credit really sucks right now. I have checked into it. My options for going back to school are very very slim at this time.

29again

Answer by 29again at 7:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Have you ever googled grants and scholarships? You can get funding if you live in a certain town and are female/male; if you are Native American and have 6 toes on one foot. (I know that is not real but it is almost that arbitrary!) There are grants, loans, and scholarships out there for an enormous number of things. You will be surprised if you take the time to look. Everyone can get to college if you just see yourself as a student.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010