How to put weight on a Puppy (10 months)?

Ok,adopted what I was told is a Boxer/Australian Shepherd mix pup yesterday. He is currently 27.5 lbs, and you can still see his bones. He's not emaciated, but clearly underweight. I've read a bit about Satin Balls, to help put weight on a dog, but am cautious because he is still a growing pup. He was being fed Flint River Ranch dog food, but will be transitioning to Fromm's Gold (can he be fed large breed? puppy chow?) How do I continue to help his development, and put weight back on him at the same time? Should he still be on Puppy Food? (Vet said no, because he is neutured, but idk...)Do I just supplement his diet with chicken, eggs? Idk? Any advice on what I can feed him to help would be greatly appreciated!!

lilmama2be

Asked by lilmama2be at 6:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I have an Aussie mix and when he was about 10 months old, he was about 40 lbs I believe. He is about 60 now at two years old. Supplementing his diet with chicken, eggs, cheese, rice are all really good things even without the weight issues. My dog LOVES the pork. If the vet says no puppy food, ask the vet how much should the dog weigh at his age and that way you will know where to go from there.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I'd keep him on the flint River Ranch if you can afford to,it is a much better food. They may not have been feeding him enough at the shelter. When i adopted my dog 2 years about he was a little too lean so i just feed him a little more until he gained about 5 or so pounds.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Keeping him on FRR is way out of my budget...I will try homemade food before I spend $ 61 for 40lbs of dog food...
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 11:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• You can also add a little oil to his food, you could add 1/8 tsp.- 1/2 tsp. of corn oil to each meal or look into adding some flaxseed oil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• A puppy is fed puppy food until he is 1 year of age. Your vet gave you false information. I had all my dogs neutered or spayed at 6 months and was never once told to stop feeding puppy food.

Don't feed the poor thing puppy chow (if you mean Purina that is). You'd be better off feeding him a cardboard box.

Try supplementing with yogurt, dogs love it, it helps to keep the coat shiny and can put on a little weight. There should also be feeding directions on the back of the bag of food. Look up what it says for the weight he should be and follow those directions. con\t
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Try breaking up his meals into several smaller ones during the day. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. OR, Breakfast, Dinner Bed.... I currently feed my 8 month old BRT twice a day, once in the morning and once at bedtime.

There is also the option of raw food. You can mix it into his food either for all the meals, or two, or even one. Both my dogs are fed raw mixed into their kibble. They get raw in the morning with their breakfast. The only problem with raw is that it needs to be an exact measurement of additives and so on. You might be able to find someone who sells or makes raw in your area. Google something like raw food for dogs in...and then your area.

Thank you for rescuing! Good Luck. I hope I've helped.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Thanks for the answers! for Puppy Chow, I didn't mean Purina, my brand now also recently started making a Puppy food, so maybe I'll do that one..As for raw, I am very interested in that, or the BARF thing. I'll have to do some research.
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 9:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Check your local feed store-- like horse supply. They often have a farm brand that is corn and wheat free made with real meat for $30 for 40lbs. He needs to be on puppy food. His breed is a puppy for about 2 years.

Don't add oil to his bowl. He could get the poops. You can supplement him with plain yogurt and eggs if you are worried. I always feed my larger breed pups 3x daily until they are a year. Sometimes their bellies are too small to hold all the calories they need.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I am a registered Vet Tech. First need to make sure that there isnt a medical problem like Intestinal parasites, blood work lloks normal. But a high premium puppy food. Very high is protein and calories. Feed by the guide on the back of the bag. Determine weather or not the dog is still hungry. Good Luck!

ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2010