How do I keep My son from going to bed so early?

He has been going to bed anywhere between 4 and 5 and then he gets up at 3 or 4 in the morning... This is getting very exhausting for me and I have tried keeping him awake and trying to get him to go back to sleep but nothing is working... I have tried to just go to sleep when he does but his naps during the day are only 30 minutes and if I try to get my things done when he is sleeping I end up only getting 5 to 6 hours of sleep all together... Anyone have any Ideas other than just go to bed early or to just wait for him to get adjusted... I have tried those too and it makes for a very lonely life and I am really feeling trapped in the house!

1stTimeMama111

Asked by 1stTimeMama111 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him take a nap at 4 or 5, then before you go to bed, wake him up for a diaper change and bottle/breastfeed - maybe that will be enough to hold him for another couple hours in the morning.

Answer by missanc at 7:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• nap time around 2
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Maybe at 5 keep the lights on in the room, tv on etc...while he naps and then wake him up at 7-8 to feed him and change him into pj's and at that time make the room dark, put on relaxing music and retrain him that around then is bedtime....

Not sure if that would work...?
    Anonymous

• He normally naps at about 1 or 2 for an hour already.... I have tried to do all the tricks I know like a dark quiet room with white noise and a nightlight since he is getting to the age of nightmares...
    1stTimeMama111

Answer by 1stTimeMama111 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I have tried keeping the room active and bright as well and he just ends up sleeping through it lol... and when I wake him up to feed he falls asleep while feeding and then when I try to wake him back up he gets really fussy and angry with me and starts screaming!! it is really a challenge to try and keep him awake... I wish I knew how to respond to your answers lol :-)
    1stTimeMama111

Answer by 1stTimeMama111 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• give him a can of red bull
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 6:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Man I don't know what to suggest. Hang in there !!!

Anonymous

• LOL to the redbull!! :-) I might never get him to sleep then!!
    1stTimeMama111

Answer by 1stTimeMama111 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Only let him sleep for an hour and then give him a bath and keep him up until 7. He's used to this schedule, YOU have to train him on a schedule that works for you.
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010